Dominic Monaghan: Abrams’ Episode VII cast is mostly ‘unknowns’


In an interview with with Andy Riesmeyer on Ora.Tv’s Dweebcast, Dominic Monaghan reveals a little of what J.J. Abrams told him about casting Episode VII:

“We’ve talked a few times about it and he just said, ‘look, we’re putting together a cast of essentially unknowns, you know. We want to follow the kind of ’77, [A] New Hope type cast…. We don’t want to fall into that mistake of People going ‘Oh, it’s that guy from the thing!’”

Not a big surprise or a big reveal, but at this point, every little bit helps. (via)

Link

The Sixteen Strikes Back has moved This Is Madness into the second round. For the light side, Princess Leia takes on R2-D2 while Tarkin and Grievous face off for the dark side. We’re voting Leia and Tarkin, but mostly Leia.

TV recap pioneer Television Without Pity shutting down

television-without-pityTelevision Without Pity, one of, if not the internet’s first television recap sites, is being shut down on April 4. Founded as Dawson’s Wrap in the late 90′s (and later Mighty Big TV) by Tara Ariano, Sarah D. Bunting, and David T. Cole, the site was sold to Bravo in 2007.

TWoP, along with since-shuttered sister sites Hissyfit and Fametracker and their respective forums, were hugely influential in creating the snarky tone that characterizes much pop culture coverage today. (Including, yeah, me.)

Often controversial, particularly in regards the forums, TWoP was nonetheless a huge force in various TV fandoms. (An infamous Sorkin incident actually inspired a b-plot on The West Wing.)

Ariano, Bunting and Cole are currently running Previously.TV Other alumni include Pamela Ribon and the ladies at Go Fug Yourself.

Rumor: Does the future of Indiana Jones lay in recasting Indy? Does Lucasfilm already have a name in mind?

old-indyAs ‘scoops’ go, this seems pretty much a simple conclusion to draw, but for what it’s worth, Latino Review is saying that the Indiana Jones franchise will indeed take a page from James Bond and recast Dr. Jones, as was theorized back in December when the rights issue was settled.

LR is saying while that Harrison Ford may do one more film as the hero, if things don’t move forward by a certain date, they may go forward with a new trilogy – and a new actor – instead.

Bradley Cooper supposedly tops that Lucasfilm wish list. (That’s not a guarantee: I’m sure he’s on a lot of lists these days.) And on the writing end, The Walking Dead’s Frank Darabont – who wrote for the Young Indy series and an early version of Crystal Skull – may have pitched an idea.

UPDATE #1: The folks at Slashfilm say a source tells them that this isn’t true – at least not at the moment.

UPDATE #2: And Frank Marshall weighs in: