- Politics: When in the GFFA…
- Technology: Phonesaber returns… as a The Force Unleashed tie-in? At least it’s free! Also, people are creating Star Wars vehicles in Spore.
- Lists: io9 thoughtfully includes Revenge of the Sith in their list of the best skin-melting scenes from sci-fi. Melting, frying… They’re almost the same thing! (And apparently Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn’t count.)
- Hipsters! Hold onto your Pabst, Star Wars is live (and authorized!) in San Francisco this weekend.
- Funny: You want to read this tale of customer service woe. Just trust me. (Warning: Language.)
Here’s one for the ‘quite probably taking fandom phenomenon way too seriously’ bin:
Suppose tomorrow the Bush administration announces plans to deploy thousands of Homeland Security Troops to American cities, to walk the streets armed in the search for un-American, possibly terrorist activities (such as taking photos where there isn’t anything obviously pretty to be taking a photo of, being overly swarthy, videotaping cops and Homeland Security Troops, etc). These guys would only be answerable to the DHS, and they would be recruited from the likes of Blackwater, Wackenhut, and so forth.
Obviously there would be some outrage, yeah? I mean, not as much as there should be, but a lot of folks wouldn’t care for this at all.
Now imagine that these troops are outfitted exactly like Stormtroopers from Star Wars.
George Lucas is among the celebrities in this new PSA from Vote For It ’08:
VFI08 is a joint initiative between the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network (HSAN), and online ad network and marketing company, CPX Interactive. The overarching purpose of the joint initiative is to serve as a call-to-action to America’s youth vote, emphasizing the importance of connectivity to the growing national political spirit and the necessity of empowering one’s self thru the exercise of the most basic responsibility…that is the right to vote.
- LucasArts: The layoffs earlier this month also took out key members of the team for The Force Unleashed. (via)
- Politics: George is talking up Barak Obama again! While on Capitol Hill the other day, he said it’s “reasonably obvious” that the presidential candidate would be a Jedi.
- Sports: A filly named Shmi Skywalker? Why not?