Last Thursday, Legoland California opened up their Star Wars area in Miniland with some big fanfare. The official ribbon cutting was done by Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher, and Carson Weiner, a young Star Wars fan representing the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Also on hand for the celebration were James Arnold Taylor and Catherine Taber of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and about 60 costumed members of the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion. Other VIPs included skateboarding legend Tony Hawk and “Wait, I was in Star Trek not Star Wars” Christian Slater and Dancing with the Stars‘ Brooke Burke.
Read Red Harvest… After releasing the first chapter of Joe Shreiber’s Death Troopers prequel a few weeks back, StarWars.com has gone on to post chapters two, three, and four. If they keep going, will there be anything left for folks to read by the time to book actually comes out?
Interview with an internet rockstar. Lucasfilm’s Pablo Hidalgo talks to Mexican fan site Datapad de Korpil about his fandom activities before LFL, his books, and the editorial process.
Comics. Dark Horse’s February solicitations include Knight Errant: Aflame #5, Darth Vader and the Lost Command #2, Legacy: War #3, and a pair of trades. Meanwhile, StarWars.com has a Knight Errant atlas extra, and Tom Taylor reveals the cover of Invasion: Rescues #6.
Namesake corner. The 501st’s costume reference for Mara Jade’s jumpsuit. Sure, many of us aren’t fans of the outfit (Doesn’t a sleeve-gun kind of necessitate sleeves? Also, this.) but we can’t blame the legion – they’re only following in Dark Horse’s footsteps.
There’s a new addition to the schedule this morning, the debut of a video
commemorating The Empire Strikes Back featuring George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, and John Williams.
- Rebelscum has the first pictures from the floor.
- A program guide for the “risk-takers, thrill-seekers and match-makers.”
- Two looks at the TK Helmet Project
- Preview Sirius/XM radio with Tom Kane and James Arnold Taylor
- And what’s a Celebration without a Troop-Athlon?
It’s the last weekend before the con. What have you done so far?
Saturday is the last day to pre-order tickets to TheForce.net’s party! You want in on this, guys: In addition to being organized by CJ’s own lovely Dajuan, they’ve added a ton of celebrity guests in the last few days. You’ll want to be there!
- What do you do to follow up The Vader Project? Stormtroopers, of course! The 501st’s TK Helmet Project will be debuting in Orlando.
- There is some seriously awesome merchandise emerging. I brought very little home from CIII and CIV, but I’m seriously considering both the IGGY’S Eighty-Eight Espresso sign and the Scruffies. If I can get to them in time, anyway!
- On that note, Her Universe will be offering an exclusive limited-edition Empire Strikes Back necklace.
- Hyperspace member? Get your tips.
- Can’t make it to the CV? Have Sirius XM satellite radio and a long commute? You can listen to the con!
Woe be unto you, Club Jade fans. Dunc is having a real life this week and has left me to round up the news for you. So, sorry. She’ll be back soon! So let’s round up some bits and bobs in the world of Star Wars, shall we?
- That awesome fan project, Star Wars: Uncut, is now cut. And we have a trailer!
- Speaking of fans, the University of Georgia paper profiles a member of the 501st Georgia Garrison. Yes, Athens fans, there are others near you!
- And they’ll need all the help they can get. Star Wars Weekends is cranking up again.
- The 501st even helped Lando, um, I mean Billy Dee Williams, arrive in style to the Sunscreen Film Festival. I bet he’d love to have Colt 45 can greet him, just once.
- We’ll move from that The Empire Strikes Back actor to StarWars.com’s review of Empire cast and crew swag. (I’ve always wanted one of those passports.)
- And finally, from the film that inspired it all, Kurosawa Hidden Fortress action figures. Awesome!
Dunc will be back soon. Promise!
Felicia Day gets her saber on. The internet geek superstar (you probably know her from The Guild, and Dr. Horrible) can check another box on her ultimate geek list by appearing in an internet lightsaber fight.
Kristen Bell teams up with hometown 501s. The Fanboys actress helped the the Great Lakes Garrison raise $2,000 for Michigan charities.
Those look familiar. Check out what they’re building on the International Space Station. Go go science fact!
Jedi church looking for a Master. Too easy. Way too easy.
Drink up. Discount code for Skywalker Ranch wine.
Vader’s finest getting the word out about the adidas Star Wars Originals line.