Lightsabre talks to production designer Gavin Bocquet, who worked on Return of the Jedi, Young Indy, the prequel trilogy and Stardust. Meanwhile, over at EUC, they have author Karen Miller and are taking questions for cover artist Dave Seeley.
And I bet he enjoys it. In any case, all the evidence is gathered and presented in text format… And yet still no Wookieepedia entry? Tisk tisk.
- T-shirt: Clearly we don’t know the power of the Force. Bet it’s awesome on floors, too.
- Lists: Entertainment Weekly has Revenge of the Sith’s ”Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo” line as one of their 15 nominees for worst movie dialogue ever.
- Politics: io9 says Sarah Palin is Star Wars and Hillary Clinton is Star Trek. Um. No comment.
- Cute: Chipmunk menaced by action figures!
Lists are all well and good, but Empire’s list of the 500 greatest movies of all time is ridiculous. Luckily for you, I skimmed it so you can have that half-hour of your life to do with as you will.
The original trilogy makes a nice showing, with Empire Strikes Back at #3, A New Hope at #22 and Return of the Jedi at #91. (Plus, Raiders of the Lost Ark is #2.) The prequel trilogy clocks in with The Phantom Menace at #449 and Revenge of the Sith at #330.
As for other movies of interest: Serenity (#383,) Clerks (#361,) Shaun of the Dead (#231,) The Princess Bride (#122,) Batman Begins (#81,) Evil Dead (#49,) The Matrix (#39,) Terminator 2 (#35,) Aliens (#30,) Blade Runner (#20,) 2001 (#16,) and The Dark Knight (#15.) I think all of LOTR was in the top 100 too, but I lost track because 500 MOVIES IS RIDICULOUS.
- Politics: When in the GFFA…
- Technology: Phonesaber returns… as a The Force Unleashed tie-in? At least it’s free! Also, people are creating Star Wars vehicles in Spore.
- Lists: io9 thoughtfully includes Revenge of the Sith in their list of the best skin-melting scenes from sci-fi. Melting, frying… They’re almost the same thing! (And apparently Raiders of the Lost Ark doesn’t count.)
- Hipsters! Hold onto your Pabst, Star Wars is live (and authorized!) in San Francisco this weekend.
- Funny: You want to read this tale of customer service woe. Just trust me. (Warning: Language.)
Wow, is it time for Coruscant Nights: Street of Shadows already? The new Michael Reaves book should be in stores today. Also keep an eye out for The Dark Lord Trilogy trilogy, a trade omnibus that collects Labyrinth of Evil by James Luceno, Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover, and Luceno’s Dark Lord.
Don’t worry, comic fans: There’s plenty for you on Wednesday. The much-anticipated Darth Wyyrlok-focused Legacy #27, Rebellion #16 aka Vector part 8, and the fourth Knights of the Old Republic trade, Daze of Hate, Knights of Suffering. Punny!
The Dark Knight took in $18.5 million from its midnight release earlier this morning, breaking the $16.9 million record Revenge of the Sith set back in 2005. TDK’s 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. showings were not counted, but it’s sure to make a mint this weekend. Spider-Man 3 better watch his back…
UPDATE: Indeed, it took in $66.4 million Friday, breaking Spider-Man 3′s opening day record of $59.8.
” I wanted to show that this poor guy is trapped by shadows, and she’s stuck in the light. And the hand that reaches out to touch her isn’t even a human hand anymore” – Iain McCaig
From The Art of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
- The Brits really love them some Star Wars wedding: The GFFA-themed marriage ceremony of Bramwell Brightey and Tamsyn Lofts showed up in both The Guardian and The Sun today.
- Could Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull beat Revenge of the Sith at the box office? That’s the magic of inflation!
- No jail time for drunken Vader attacker. Shocking!
- The Force Unleashed is “greatest Star Wars story that we’ve ever told in a video game,” says LucasArts’ Cameron Suey. Better than Masters of Teräs Käsi? That’s unpossible!