February 5th, 2010 by jawajames · 2 Comments
For last week’s episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it seems from the reader comments to our review that ‘The Mandalore Plot’ is really ‘We Demand-more Plot’ or more something. Here’s what other online reviewers have to say:
- The Star Wars Prequel Appreciation Society picks up on the Obi-wan/Satine rawr moments, and points out that Vizsla comes from the Cobra school of villainy.
- Television Zombies gives it 4 out of 5 sabers, liking sort of flirty Obi-wan, and makes a BSG reference but doesn’t acknowledge the EU revision.
- TheForce.net liked having all the new elements: new world, new conflict, new characters, and especially the dynamic between Satine and Obi-wan, but has some nitpicks about the Duchess, and discusses a lot of Mando continuity issues.
- MTV Movies Blog‘s reviewer called it an “entertaining piece of fiction” that brought a smile to his face, even with the heavy changes to the EU.
- Dauntless Media gives it a B, liking the exceptional visuals, but feeling the plot a bit questionable and poorly paced.
- Big Shiny Robot liked it but found the ending lacking, and points out the EU shockwaves – prompting a reader to leave an rambling comment.
- Pendragon’s Post points out the coolness of seeing Mandos in action but also picks up on the racial disparity between the Fetts and the ‘Plot’ Mandos.
We’ll see how Obi-wan and the woman he once loved fare in the continuing storyline, in tonight’s ‘Voyage of Temptation,’ when Anakin learns that his mentor has a love life. On the official site, series writer Henry Gilroy looks at Obi-Wan, Satine, Jedi romance, and differing ideals. Meanwhile, Dave Filoni talks to the Insider about bringing in the Mandalorians. Seriously, shouldn’t ‘Voyage of Temptation’ that be the title of a FOX or VH1 reality show on a cruise ship?
Filed: review · the clone wars
Tagged: dave filoni · henry gilroy · previews · reviews
March 6th, 2009 by Dunc · 1 Comment
Tonight’s new episode, ‘Innocents of Ryloth’ was inspired by The Guns of Navarone. It’s also co-written by Dark Horse’s Randy Stradley.
Filed: the clone wars
Tagged: dave filoni · henry gilroy · podcasts · previews · randy stradley · reviews
December 30th, 2008 by Dunc · 2 Comments
Dave Filoni and Henry Gilroy answer fan questions on The Clone Wars over at TheForce.net. A lot of interesting tidbits on the show, its relation to the EU, George’s involvement and other food for thought, like Gilroy’s comments on the unique challenges of writing a digital show:
It wasn’t really an issue of balance. When I wrote the first episode, I wished I could have used the entire Jedi Council, but because we were just building the studio, the only characters I had available were Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda. Mace wasn’t originally in the movie story, because he wasn’t built yet, he was added way later. This was the incredible challenge as the head writer, I was tasked with writing Star Wars and making it feel as big as Star Wars, but only allowed to build ONE new character per episode (I started with 9 — can you name them?). So Luminara and Kit showed up at the very first chance I could put them in the show.
Oh, and there’s also something in there about George and the Wookieepedia. Yes, seriously.
In other interview news, EUC has one with The Force Unleashed’s Sam Witwer, and is taking questions for Matt Stover.
Filed: expanded universe · gaming · people · the clone wars
Tagged: dave filoni · george lucas · henry gilroy · interviews · matthew stover · sam witwer · tfn · the force unleashed · wookieepedia
December 9th, 2008 by Dunc · No Comments
In this Friday’s new episode, ‘Lair of Grievous,’ Kit Fisto comes over for tea! Well, maybe not tea.
Filed: the clone wars
Tagged: general grievous · henry gilroy · previews · video
November 14th, 2008 by Dunc · No Comments
“Duel of the Droids” airs on Cartoon Network tonight. (Preview with the latest webcomic, Discount.) Don’t forget the new Saturday morning reruns.
Filed: gaming · the clone wars
Tagged: henry gilroy · interviews · podcasts · rumors · tcw jedi alliance · tcw lightsaber duels
October 16th, 2008 by Dunc · No Comments
Our favorite site directory has two new interviews. The first is The Clone Wars scribe Henry Gilroy, while the second is Tom Spina of Tom Spina Designs, which is responsible for the Han in Carbonite desk and Star Trek/Return of the Jedi-inspired ‘Galactic Throne.’
Filed: the clone wars
Tagged: henry gilroy · interviews · tom spina designs
October 3rd, 2008 by Dunc · 1 Comment
StarWars.com has episode guides and preview clips for ‘Ambush’ and ‘Rising Malevolence’. Meanwhile, The Clone Wars web comic launches.
- No Cartoon Network? Episodes will be available on iTunes the day after airing, and stream on both CartoonNetwork.com and StarWars.com after a week. (UPDATE: A behind-the-scenes special is available for free on iTunes.)
- UPDATE: The Force-Cast has a TCW roundtable with Dave Filoni and Henry Gilroy.
- Newsday has another preview clip.
- Rebelscum reveals the contents of the Clone Wars press kit.
- Reviews: Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, Boston Herald, The Kansas City Star, Pioneer Press, Zap2it, IGN, Crave, and Toon Zone.
Filed: star wars on tv · the clone wars
Tagged: cartoon network · dave filoni · henry gilroy · reviews · starwars.com · webcomics
September 21st, 2008 by Dunc · 3 Comments
More new contract fallout: Alex Irvine details the timing of his ‘ancient Jedi’ novel on his blog:
…Yours truly is going to be writing a novel set just before the Knights of the Old Republic storyline. Since I am one of those guys who saw the movie (you know, The Movie; you know the one I mean) a dozen times the summer it came out, this is kind of a dream come true. Viva la Geek! Plus, there are some interesting open spaces in the continuity from that period, which give me a lot of room to work.
Isn’t that what the comics are doing? Oh well: I won’t even pretend to be an expert on that time period. (Some have speculated that this could be related to the still-rumored KOTOR MMO, but aren’t direct game tie-ins handled by separate contracts?)
Filed: expanded universe · the clone wars
Tagged: alex irvine · henry gilroy · interviews · karen miller · karen traviss · kotor · previews · rebel force
September 8th, 2008 by Dunc · 2 Comments
Filed: expanded universe · gaming · the clone wars
Tagged: henry gilroy · kotor · previews · rebel force · reviews · sean williams · the force unleashed
August 19th, 2008 by Dunc · 1 Comment
JadeCon is never a good time for real blogging, and so several stories over the last week got missed. Now that I’ve slept an entire night (and then some,) and taken a Claritin (damn you, con crud!) and am finally back in the land of working wireless, here’s some of The Clone Wars stuff that got missed:
Don’t forget to vote in our poll and review post.
Filed: the clone wars
Tagged: ahsoka tano · anakin skywalker · henry gilroy · interviews · lists · prequel trilogy