Doesn’t that just want to make you go videotape yourself doing something silly? Okay, maybe not. But it does make you want to watch other folks do it.
The folks at Star Wars Uncut have an interesting take on the fan film – split A New Hope up into 15 second clips, and then have people claim a bit to recreate. The internet versions will be sewn back together into… What? We’ll just have to see. All the bits have been claimed, but some recreations have already begun to appear.
Atom TV on Comedy Central will have an episode dedicated to the Star Wars Fan Movie Challenge airing Monday night – actually,Tuesday morning at 2am, but that’s still Monday for me. George Lucas himself will be introducing his 2008 Selects winner, Juno spoof ‘Padme.’ Also being shown in their entirety are ‘Tarkin’ n Friends,’ ‘Chad Vader,’ ‘SW Grindhouse’ and ‘Incident At Toshi Station.’
The show will rerun in the wee hours Wednesday (12:30pm) and Thursday (2am,) and at 10am Sunday the 12th.
It’s time to vote for your favorites in the Star Wars Fan Movie Challenge. The voting period is short – only until July 10 – and there are quite a few finalists… So start watching now! (Looks like the winners will be announced at San Diego Comic Con.)
With only 23 days until this year’s deadline, Atomfilms has relaunched their site for the Star Wars Fan Movie Challenge. Entries have to be in by May 27th, so get cracking!
I don’t necessarily agree with this list entirely (The Vader Sessions? #2? Really?) but Day of the Jedi’s coolest Star Wars videos does hit most of your instant (and not-so-instant) internet classics.
It’s been a weird few weeks – here’s some of the stuff we missed on the official site.
- Hyperspace: Get up close and personal with the 2008 Membership Kit; online supplement for Insider #98; the latest Bantha Tracks (which will be available as a printable PDF in March.)
- Fan films: It’s time for the 2008 Star Wars Fan Movie Challenge! This year, the winners will be aired on SpikeTV.
- Memorial:A tribute to John Alvin.
- Events: Star Wars exhibits in Philadelphia and Belgium.
- Charity: Tommy Lee Edwards raises money for The Ride for Kids with a limited-edition lithograph.
- In the Source Archive: Peter Schweighofer’s feature Recon & Report from the Adventure Journal #2; The Other Side of the Story from Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters; Balancing the Books from The Star Wars Sourcebook and NewsNets Bakura Annexed by Empire, New Year Fete Week Launched in Imperial City, Dentaal Declares Independence, Expels Governor, and Fondor Closed To Civilian Traffic.
NOTICE: As of at least March 2008, the site at createstarwars.org is no longer live. Your guess is as good as mine.
Sadly, I’m not entirely buying their manifesto, or at least the focus on how awful the prequels were. Look: they’re here, they’re done, lay off the whining already.
Still, I can’t say I entirely disagree with the concept as a whole. Not exactly blown away here (it’s Heir to the Empire,) but it’s a nice goal. Never say never…