Look for The Clone Wars season one on DVD and Blu Ray tomorrow. James has already run down the particulars for us, but I’m sure there will be more coming. Also keep an eye out for the latest Star Wars Insider. Uh, it has a whole page on Thrawn?
November 2nd, 2009 by Dunc · 3 Comments
November 1st, 2009 by jawajames · No Comments
The box set containing the complete first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars comes out on DVD and Blu-Ray this Tuesday. StarWars.com starts a tour of the box set, looking at the contents of disc 1 – and showcasing the full cinematic aspect ratio used on this release, versus the broadcast version. There’s more picture to these moving pictures! The four disc set contains all 22 episodes of season 1, as well as seven extended director’s cuts, and a concept art book. The Blu-Ray version also comes with the Jedi Temple Archives bonus feature.
- CinemaBlend has got some clips, including a trailer and some episode clips.
- Monsters and Critics also takes a look, with a clip of their own.
- BigPictureBigSound gives the Blu-Ray version 3.5 out of 4 stars, and says about some of the extended director’s cuts: “I was surprised more than once by the level of intensity… It’s not the Star Wars I grew up on, but taken on its own, The Clone Wars is a captivating long-term adventure.
So add it to the holiday list, folks!
October 28th, 2009 by jawajames · 2 Comments
Yesterday marked the release of the direct-to-DVD Battlestar Galactica: The Plan, directed by Edward James Olmos. Remember when the Cylons had a plan? Now you can see the events of BSG (especially seasons one and two), from the Cylon point of view. Here’s what the reviewers are saying:
- Wired says not to put too much hope in this mediocre coda, which would more aptly be titled A Tale of Two Cavils.
- Geeks of Doom loves the inner struggles among the Cylons, but feels that the flow is a bit off. However, they totally agree with Olmos’ proclamation that after seeing “The Plan”, you’ll want to re-watch BSG again to see how it all fits in. They also have a giveaway contest for “The Plan” DVDs.
- Ellen Gray at philly.com likes when the Cylons try to be human… but wishes there was more of that.
- Alan Sepinwall of the NJ Star-Ledger likes Dean Stockwell’s and Grace Park’s performances, but overall says, “As one small bit of bonus material tied to a classic series, it’s fun, but it doesn’t really stand on its own.”
- FilmThreat calls it “a mess” that ends up with epic fail, but also closure for Boxy.
- The Salt Lake Tribune gives it a brief C+, saying that diehard fans will enjoy it, and that’s about it.
Hyping “The Plan”, PopStar gets a few questions with Dean Stockwell about playing against himself and his views on a Quantum Leap reunion. UGO has a contest where you can win dinner with Admiral Adama, Edward James Olmos.
Overall, most reviews feel like “The Plan” is more like a series of deleted scenes than a coherent story.
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is released today on DVD and Blu-Ray. Several reviewers note that it is unrated and contains sex and nudity, which will most likely be cut for the Syfy broadcast of it next year.
August 22nd, 2009 by Dunc · 8 Comments
I’m not generally an early adopter when it comes to this sort of technology, so the recent focus on Blu-Ray has kind of thrown me for a loop. DVDs were certainly a vast improvement over VHS, but what’s so wonderful about Blu-Ray? (My TV is okay, but mere DVDs still look fantastic on my parent’s giant flat-screen.) And while I prefer to watch TV from my couch, I can’t deny that I’ll head to the internet if it has the shows I really want to see. (Though only if I really want them… I still haven’t watched any classic Star Trek.) So I was wondering about you guys… What are your preferred formats? Vote for as many that apply on the sidebar or beneath the cut. (more…)
August 21st, 2009 by Dunc · 2 Comments
I’ve been hearing some rumors (I think they were rumors…) about this, and now we have it from the source: Family Guy will debut their long-awaited Empire Strikes Back spoof not on TV, but on DVD and two-disc Blu-ray. They’ll both be out December 22.
July 25th, 2009 by Dunc · No Comments
StarWars.com has posted all the video shown at the Spectacular: Star Wars: In Concert, the Fan Stories Project, TFU Sith Edition, The Clone Wars S2 teaser and The Clone Wars box set trailer that was shown during the G4 commercial break.
July 20th, 2009 by Dunc · No Comments
See, while StarWars.com and the various bookseller sites are telling me The Art of Star Wars: The Clone Wars won’t be out until fall, Diamond has it listed for Wednesday (twice: both versions?) under merchandise which means, presumably, coming to a comic store near you (if they ordered it.) Just for Comic-Con? Perhaps…
July 15th, 2009 by Dunc · No Comments
Bryan Young has the specs – and cover – on the set from Lucasfilm and Warner Home Video. Bonus features include seven Director’s Cut Episodes, featurettes for each episode (though that sounds like the ones we’ve already seen on StarWars.com,) and a 64-page production journal. The Blu-Ray version will also come with The Jedi Temple Archives, “An extensive database exploring test footage, early concept art, 3-D character and object turnarounds and early animation.”
The suggested retail price is $44.98 for DVD and $59.99 for Blu-ray.
ETA: On StarWars.com.
June 13th, 2009 by Dunc · 1 Comment
We’ve got a glut of new Clone Wars content last night, most notably a new webcomic, ‘Hunting the Hunters’ (a story that bridges S1 and S2,) as well as a new game and the official announcement of the ‘Clone Commandos’ DVD.
May 30th, 2009 by Dunc · 1 Comment
The Clone Wars’ second DVD will be titled “Clone Commandos” and include the episodes “Rookies,” “Storm Over Ryloth,” “Innocents of Ryloth,” and “Liberty of Ryloth,” according to DVDActive. (They also give a release date of September 15.)
The Ryloth trilogy seems an odd choice considering they were among S1′s last aired episodes, but TFN’s reasoning seems sound enough.