Despite being cancelled, Star Wars: The Clone Wars has earned seven Emmy nominations for daytime entertainment. The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences released the list of daytime Emmy nominations today, and The Clone Wars picked up nominations in several categories, giving Cartoon Network 7 out of its 11 nominations:
- Outstanding Special Class Animated Program for George Lucas, Executive Producer; Cary Silver, Producer; and Athena Portillo, Line Producer (alongside Dan Vs. and The Legend of Korra)
- Three nominations for Outstanding Performer in an Animated Program: Jim Cummings (for voicing Hondo Ohnaka), David Tennant (for voicing Huyang), and Sam Witwer (for voicing Darth Maul) – taking up half the nominations in this category!
- Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program for Supervising Director Dave Filoni and Directors Kyle Dunlevy, Brian Kalin O’Connell, Steward Lee, & Bosco Ng (against Dan Vs., The Legend of Korra, The Penguins of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness
- Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition for Composer Kevin Kiner
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing – Animation for David Acord, Re-Recording Mixer & Cameron Davis, Dialogue Recordist
Just putting it all into perspective: The top nominated show was The Young and the Restless with 23 nominations, and Sesame Street picked up 17 nominations, and The Ellen DeGeneres Show earned 10. But when compared to other animated shows, The Clone Wars is tied at the top with Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness with seven each. And a shout out to Cash Cab for its two nominations – woohoo!
Let’s hope that The Clone Wars takes home some Emmy gold in June, when the winners are announced.