Looking for the perfect way to share how how you feel on Valentine’s Day? Ranging from “I’d just as soon kiss a Wookiee” to “I’m haunted by the kiss you should never have given me”, Darth Cupid has had you covered for your Star Wars valentine needs for decades.
Back in the late 1970’s, Drawing Board Greeting Cards had the license for a variety of Star Wars greeting cards, including these individual cards.
After hiding in a galaxy far, far away for several years, Star Wars valentines came back in 1997 from Paper Magic Group, to coincide with the release of the Special Editions.
The Episode I merchandise craze had everything under the twin suns, including valentine cards sets from both Hallmark and Paper Magic Group. The foil Jar Jar Binks valentine reads “Mesa wish you maxie big Val Day!” while Darth Maul hopes that someone (but probably not the person who sent this to you) is after YOU this valentine’s day.
More recent valentine card sets included:
- 2003 – Hallmark and Paper Magic Group each issued their own Attack of the Clones-themed valentines.
- 2005 – Paper Magic Group’s Flashy Foil Valentines, which used mostly Original Trilogy characters.
- 2006 – Revenge of the Sith gets some valentine love from Paper Magic Group. While Dunc had nothing to say, something tells me there’s no pregnant Padme card. At least they came with removable tattoos!
- 2009 – Paper Magic Group released two different The Clone Wars themed classroom sets, but where’s the wacky valentine messages?
Over the years, artists and photoshoppers have been coming up with some Star Wars themed valentines spanning from cute and kid-friendly to just plain wrong. Let’s take a trip through the time tunnel of love in online Star Wars valentine art:
- In 2006, the folks at SomethingAwful.com spent a Photoshop Phriday to come up with some of these very Star Wars valentines.
- Grant Gould had some of his Star Wars valentines featured on starwars.com in 2008, including one of the few Watto-themed valentines out there.
- Of course, if your special someone IS your sibling, then web-comics writer Joel Watson has the valentine card for you, though we warned you back in 2009.
- Or if you’d rather just send valentines to friends, artist James Stowe has a few cute friendship themed valentines for you from last year. What’s cuter than Han and Greedo having some ice cream?
- Chris Tupa also developed some printable valentines last year, probably with one of the few rancor-themed cards out there.
Looking for print valentine cards to send your loved ones (or elementary school classmates)? Check out the most recent in Star Wars valentine cards…
- Hallmark served up some The Clone Wars themed lenticular cards in 2010. ‘Cause nothing says love like “You’re quite clever for a human being.”
- JAKe’s artwork from the Star Wars Celebration IV badges highlighted the different Paper Magic Group offerings in 2010. When did they start adding pencils to classroom valentines?
- This year’s offering for classroom valentines is also from The Clone Wars – but is sadly lacking wacky Star Wars themed sayings.
So, there it is – over thirty years aboard the Love Commander with Star Wars valentines. Just call me your very sensual captain, Zapp Branigan, err.. Lando Calrissian.