Director Colin Trevorrow, whose Jurassic World is the highest grossing film of 2015 so far, has been tapped to direct Episode IX, Umberto Gonzalez of Heroic Hollywood reports. With Star Wars in SDCC’s Hall H coming up this evening, and IX the only announced film that doesn’t have a director yet, this may very well turn out to be true.
Trevorrow’s name came up for Episode VII in the early days, and of course Jurassic World‘s sucess is a very large point in his favor.
We’re not done yet with the random rumors today, apparently…
→ Making Star Wars (of course) has a description of some Supreme Leader Snoke concept art for The Force Awakens. Jason suspects it wasn’t the final version, and it does sound a little too reminiscent of another recent high-profile baddie…
Yup, a little more board-clearing ahead of the big con. Hey, how about that Han Solo thing? Didja get all the fancasting out of your system? Please be sure you have all that fancasting out of your system, make sure your snark detector is in the upright and locked position, and… Go.
Yesterday we had a big chunk of news that pretty much blew everything else away, and with SDCC officially beginning tonight we’ll likely get even more, so let’s clear the boards with a few things that have been floating around regarding Episode VII, Rogue One and (maybe) even Episode VIII.
The second Anthology film will feature a young Han Solo film, and The LEGO Movie’s Christopher Miller and Phil Lord are at the helm, StarWars.com announced today.
The screenplay, by Lawrence and Jon Kasdan, focuses on how Han Solo became “the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina.” The film is set for a May 25, 2018 release.
I’d say to gird yourself for the casting speculation, but we already know how that goes…
According to The Hollywood Reporter, which broke the news just before LFL did, the Han Solo film is not the one that Josh Trank was working on, though obviously it’s occupying the same slot now. That film was rumored (though never confirmed) to be about Boba Fett.
Entertainment Weekly says the The Force Awakens panel at San Diego Comic-Con will have a behind-the-scenes focus, but not a new trailer or clips as we hoped. Still, that doesn’t mean we won’t learn anything – they claim “several actors who haven’t yet spoken publicly about their roles” will be on hand on Hall H.
Actors scheduled to be at the con for other projects include Oscar Isaac – who did show up at Celebration with John Boyega and Daisy Ridley – and Gwendoline Christie, who we’ve heard very little from. Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis and Domhnall Gleeson are also possible, but we’ll just have to wait and see… (As always, I never count on Harrison Ford… Stranger things have happened, but given how much we already know the character there’s probably not much that can be said.) The only confirmed panel members remain Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Lawrence Kasdan.
Don’t count on a new trailer at D23, either – EW says the next one won’t be out until fall. My bet is just before or soon after Force Friday on September 4…
We heard the other day that Disneyland wants $1 billion for upgrades that will presumably include something Star Wars, but on the other side of the country it’s $3 billion worth of changes for Hollywood Studios in Orlando. According to Billy Donnelly (via) it’s for a pretty dramatic makeover that includes Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Pixar.
One addition? A Dagobah makeover for Echo Lake. How very Florida!
Details – and an official announcement – are expected at D23 in August.