The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is out and about and talking about his upcoming Star Wars trilogy at the Observer:
“I think that the fun and challenging part of it is to dive in, figure out what’s exciting and then figure out what it’s going to be,” he said. “We’re doing something that steps beyond the legacy characters. What does that look like? To me, the blue sky element of it is what was most striking about it. I know the way that I’m coming at it and what’s fun about it for everyone in Lucasfilm is figuring out, ‘what’s the next step?’ It really makes you think and figure out what the essence of Star Wars is for me and what that will look like moving forward.”
Johnson’s new movie Knives Out is debuting at September’s Toronto International Film Festival. No release date or production information for his next Star Wars film has been announced.
“Untitled Star Wars” for December 16, 2022 is likely the first movie from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The Avatar leapfrogging continues with more sequels in December ’23 and ’25, with a second “Untitled Star Wars” set for December 2024, and a third “Untitled Star Wars” in December 2026.
Both sets of films will be separate from “The Skywalker Saga,” which is what Lucasfilm has been billing Episodes I-IX as of late. December’s The Rise of Skywalker is said to be the last, but I’m old enough to remember them saying that about Revenge of the Sith as well.
Rian Johnson, at CinemaCon for his next film, Knives Out, talked Star Wars briefly with MTV’s Josh Horowitz. He does admit he’s gotten the chance to talk with IX director J.J. Abrams a few times, but says that overall he’s just happy to be in the audience for this round.
(Of course he knows a lot more than any of us, but hey.)
A rumor was circulating yesterday that The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson had dropped out of his upcoming standalone Star Wars trilogy, until Johnson himself chimed in. “No it isn’t true,” he tweeted late Wednesday night. “I’m still working on the trilogy. With all due respect to the movie bros, who I’m sure are lovely kind bros with good fraternal intentions.”
Johnson has been a frequent target of some less savory parts of the fandom who have been unusually irate about The Last Jedi.
Ram Bergman, director Rian Johnson’s longtime producing partner, says we probably won’t see their new Star Wars trilogy for at least a couple of years. “Maybe in two years; it’s just in the early stages,” he said in an interview with From the Grapevine. He also reiterated that it will involve all new characters, and that “Everything is new.”
The genesis of the earlier report was prompted by studio space being canceled for a film based around the denizens of Mos Eisley, Jason says. I could also note that a Mos Eisley story could involve Boba Fett, but that’s probably my bias speaking, as Jason says both the Obi-wan and Fett films are likely safe.
Meanwhile, Lucasfilm sources tell ABC that “multiple” films are still in development and that yesterday’s report is “inaccurate”, though they naturally decline to share any details about the (unannounced) projects in question.
A more interesting nugget is that up sometime after Episode IX will be a film from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, which “be a little more grown up”, while Rian Johnson’s trilogy will be later, and more “all ages”. The timing is certainly something I find far more interesting here, but the tone concepts are more than we had before.
My own thoughts on this is that I wouldn’t expect a hard-R Star Wars film (though who can say), but perhaps PG-13 more along the lines of Revenge of the Sith, with Rian Johnson aiming for a more traditional PG or a softer PG-13 along the lines of what we’ve seen in the new trilogy so far.
Collider reports today that future “A Star Wars Story” spinoff films that were in the works at Lucasfilm have been put “on hold.” Films focusing on Obi-Wan and Boba Fett have been rumored, but not yet officially annouced or confirmed in any way by Lucasfilm. (Meaning that, short of actually announcing one of the films, we’re unlikely to get any confirmation or denial of this report any time soon.)
The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson has clearly made quite an impression over at Lucasfilm, because they’ve just announced that he’s developing a new Star Wars trilogy. The new trilogy won’t be part of the episode/Skywalker cycle, and will “introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.” He will write and direct the first film at least, along with producer Ram Bergman.
There’s no release dates for these new movies yet. J.J. Abrams’ Episode IX is the last film on the schedule currently, with a release date of December 20, 2018.
Johnson’s The Last Jedi is next up, on December 15.
Some of us have been speculating that a standalone trilogy might fill the gap between IX and the (nigh inevitable) second sequel trilogy, and this indicates that may be how Lucasfilm is leaning as well… But we’ll just have to wait and see.