Erica over at TheBothanSpy.com reports that their bi-weekly web contest to win free SW loot, Watto’s Lotto, is back, and they’re giving away the ever popular Galactic Heroes toys. Want a chance to win? Hop on over to this thread for your chance to score some of those little figures.
Weird things on the Wookieepedia
Han Solo’s illegitimate daughter (maybe,) Danielle Kieran. Proving, if nothing else, that Harrison Ford would not look all that great in drag.
EU newsbits: Coruscant Nights, Williams, Vitas
- Coruscant Nights: On the official boards, Sue Rostoni drops a short except from Patterns of Force and confirms the (much-confused) release date as January 27th.
- Interview: Sean Williams over at the Adventures in Sci-Fi Publishing podcast (Thanks, Zee Zee!) while Lightsabre talks to webmaster-turned-Complete Encyclopedia contributer Bob Vitas.
- Preview: Legacy #29/Vector part 10.
Today in The Force Unleashed: Record-breaker!
The big news is The Force Unleashed demo shattering Xbox Live records with more than a million downloads. Count in the Playstation Network and it comes out to 2.3 million. Not too shabby…
- In the news: Star Wars lives on through games. Among other things… But certainly the games are where the interest is, at least online: The Secret Apprentice (under his spoilerific real name) has been among the most-visited pages on the Wookieepedia for a while now. (He’s currently #4, behind the main page, Anakin Skywalker, and lightsaber.) And those numbers don’t require a console.
- Interview: GalacticBinder talks to Haden Blackman.
- Wishful thinking: The game isn’t even out yet, and IGN is obsessing over a sequel. If that’s a bit far-fetched for you, they also have a look back at the history of Star Wars games.
- Concept art: The Death Star laser tube by Chin Ko, above.
The fandom minute: Ahsoka, blogs, project, Mandos
- Shocking! io9 thinks that Ahsoka Tano is going to die. We say: No shit, Sherlock.
- Fansites: Share your EU musings on EUC’s EUBlogs.
- Project: Make your collection classy with a miniatures wall decoration.
- Time-wasting: Mando fans can customize (to the point of being nearly ridiculous) their fantasy armor with the Mandalorian Merc’s Mandomaker.
TFN thread of the indeterminate time period: Fan fiction and the profic fan
There’s been an interesting fanfic discussion thread over on TFN’s Literature boards, and for a conversation I thought would drop like a stone it’s actually turned out fairly interesting. (Silly title and all.)
Things are starting to get a little heated towards the end, but such is the risk one takes with TFN.
A flurry of merchandise news: Hasbro, Nintendo
- Hasbro: Rebelscum has the new Millennium Falcon press release and a couple of high-res photos.
- The Clone Wars: Box art for The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels (via)
- More Nintendo: Light Up Lightsaber Stylus Sets for the DS. It’s not quite a Wiisaber, but you take what you can get.
- Expanded Universe: The Rebelscum boards are polling for interest in EU figures. You do have to have (or register) an account.
The fandom minute: Revenge comic, new KOTOR site, cheap-ass lightsabers, Boba Fett
Flashback: 14-year old Dave Lowe’s Revenge of the Jedi fan comic from 1980. There’s Luke/Leia kissing and sleeveless Vader! (via) In a more professional capacity, he also did some work for a Sci-Fi Channel Star Wars marathon back in 1993.
- Fan sites: MizzeeOh, we we know as a contributer over at EUC, has launched a new KOTOR site, Carbonite Dreams.
- Howto: A cheap custom lightsaber at Instructables.
- Lists: Topless Robot places Boba Fett in the #1 spot in their list of the 10 most awesome characters ruined by fans. Can I get an amen? (The real shocker of the article: Sonic the Hedgehog has fans?)
Undercity talks to KOTOR’s John Jackson Miller
The Undercity Portugal blog has a new look – and an interview with Knights of the Old Republic writer John Jackson Miller. They talk about KOTOR, Vector, Indiana Jones and some upcoming projects.
New site aims to bind the fandom together
GalacticBinder is a new site aiming to be the ultimate web directory for Star Wars fandom. It’s off to a nice start (here’s our listing.)
Being ad-heavy and sponsored by an official licensee, I wouldn’t count on your more paranoid fanfic sites to feel particularly welcome here, although the fact that they have a category for them at all is a nice sign. What strikes me as the most unusual is the lack of a general Expanded Universe category – it only appears as a subsection under Characters.
Still, it was on TFN yesterday, so site owners will no doubt be submitting listings like mad for a good week or so.