It’s the last weekend before the con. What have you done so far?
Saturday is the last day to pre-order tickets to TheForce.net’s party! You want in on this, guys: In addition to being organized by CJ’s own lovely Dajuan, they’ve added a ton of celebrity guests in the last few days. You’ll want to be there!
- What do you do to follow up The Vader Project? Stormtroopers, of course! The 501st’s TK Helmet Project will be debuting in Orlando.
- There is some seriously awesome merchandise emerging. I brought very little home from CIII and CIV, but I’m seriously considering both the IGGY’S Eighty-Eight Espresso sign and the Scruffies. If I can get to them in time, anyway!
- On that note, Her Universe will be offering an exclusive limited-edition Empire Strikes Back necklace.
- Hyperspace member? Get your tips.
- Can’t make it to the CV? Have Sirius XM satellite radio and a long commute? You can listen to the con!
Hyperspace is going away next year.
Started right before Revenge of the Sith began principal photography as subscription section on StarWars.com, Hyperspace went through several incarnations. During the ROTS filming it offered fans extraordinary access to film’s set in Sydney with a live webcam, chats, and a set diary by Pablo Hidalgo. (It also had the nice side effect of effectively ending the cut-throat fansite spoiler-wars that marked the runup to The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.)
However, once Revenge of the Sith was released, Hyperspace had much less to offer subscribers (even the ‘ad-free’ promise eventually expired.) Features were added, like the blogs, but the content over the past few years has been irregular and often only of interest only to those who enjoy fairly obscure parts of the GFFA.
It even merged with the fan club and became part of a package deal with Star Wars Insider for a time. The Insider is no longer included, but the Official Fan Club still uses the ‘Hyperspace’ name. (If Hyperspace is truly being discontinued, will the fan club be getting another makeover in the coming year…?)
I can’t say I’m surprised at this – the ‘exclusive’ content has been sparse for years and StarWarsShop probably brings in far more revenue – but Hyperspace has been around for quite a while in internet times, and it’s entwined with some particularly interesting times in the fandom for me. But it’s clearly been on the backburner for quite a while, so might as well give up the ghost and move on. And hey, what the hell – I renewed my subscription one last time this evening for old time’s sake.
There’s been an absolute barrage of news today and I haven’t much time, so you’re getting most of it in roundup forum. Aren’t you lucky?
- TFN’s Mandy is really lobbying for that Barbara Walters job: Today her interview with Dave Filoni went up on TheForce.Net.
- Is this a confirmation? Lucasfilm told MTV they have “many projects in development. One is for a younger audience but it’s in very early development and too early for any details.” I’ve moved from annoyance to meh about this whole deal, if that’s any consolation to you.
- John Jackson Miller is doing another Knights of the Old Republic-era fiction project for Hyperspace.
- StarWars.com has revealed the cover and slipcover art for Star Wars: Year by Year — A Visual Chronicle.