Kathleen Kennedy: “We will eventually hire a woman who directs a Star Wars movie.”


Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy was among those who spoke at Fortune’s Most Powerful Women Summit today, where she addressed the number of women at Lucasfilm (particularly on the Story Group) and said that she’s confident that there will be a woman directing a Star Wars film one day.

“I have a huge number of men who call me,” she says. “And tell me how much of a Star Wars fan they are, how much they want to get involved in anything to do with Star Wars. I don’t have a lot of women who call.”

It’s a strong parallel to points made in an essay by actress Jennifer Lawrence that came out today, about getting paid less than her male co-stars.

Mark Hamill denies myth of ANH’s mistaken “Carrie!”


Did Luke Skywalker actually shout “Carrie!” when he sees Leia for the first time after blowing up the Death Star in A New Hope? Per Mark Hamill himself, nope:

Star Wars mysteries of the ages, solved. Twitter!

Rumors: Rating and runtime for The Force Awakens?


We’re seeing some signs of The Force Awakens rating and runtime. Nothing is really official yet, and there are some inconsistencies, but such is the nature of internet gossip.

Following the Nerd claims they have UK details for the film, which is to-be-announced at 12A, or their equivalent to PG-13. On that note, Yakface spotted that the film is listed as PG-13 on the AMC theaters app.

Whether this is likely or they’re just using the Revenge of the Sith rating as a placeholder… We don’t know. It does seem unlikely we’ll get anything gruesome as crispy Anakin this early in the trilogy, but who knows?

Perhaps more believably, the FTN report claims the film is 136 minutes, which puts it on the long side for a Star Wars movie (only Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are longer, if not by much) but not particularly long for huge blockbusters in general these days.

(AMC is also listing a Star Wars marathon for December 17, something we’ve heard rumblings of before.)

In other theater-based news, it seems like The Force Awakens may be playing at both Disney’s El Capitan Theatre and the Chinese Theatre across the street in Hollywood.

Spielberg expects Ford for Indiana Jones 5


While promoting his new film Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks, director Steven Spielberg mentioned his hope to work with Harrison Ford on a fifth Indiana Jones film. In a chat with Yahoo Movies, Spielberg mentions his collaborations with Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks:

“We’ve gotta figure this out because now, Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies… Now I’ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison, [so] it’ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom. … I’ve got to make another one with Tom, that’ll be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!”

At this point, however, there’s not a lot of progress yet on Indiana Jones 5. According to Cinema Blend, there’s still not past the scripting stage.

Spoilerphobes beware: Rey and Kylo Ren’s background?

Kylo Ren on Jakku

A user on Reddit (aka automatic red flag, the website) claims to know some background information on Rey, Kylo Ren and a few other characters from The Force Awakens. S/he’s implying it’s from the novelization, and it’s a burner account, so who knows if any of this has actual merit. Take it as you will. (via)

Even they say that Snoke isn’t Plagueis, though.

Star Wars out this week: Shattered Empire #3, Chewbacca #1

It’s hard to believe that after last week’s glut of comic releases that we’re still getting new comics on Wednesday, but so it is. Fans don’t have to wait long for Shattered Empire #3, and there’s also Chewbacca #1, which launches a new mini-series.

Don’t forget, we learned of several upcoming books, short stories and the next comic mini-series at NYCC this weekend. Our next novel, however, is Battlefront: Twilight Company by Alexander Freed on November 3.

Video: J.J. Abrams on The Force Awakens, Disney

J.J. Abrams was recently part of a Vanity Fair talk with producer Brian Grazer and Apple’s Jony Ive. In addition to telling the story of how he turned it down at first yet again, he also confirms that he has final cut on The Force Awakens – although Disney being Disney, the contract would allow otherwise.

He also praises the Disney folks, saying “I cannot say enough about how Bog Iger and Alan Horn have understood this thing that is now part of the Disney company. And they’re not trying to Disney-fy it, they’re not doing anything other than, I think, an incredibly smart thing, which is letting Kathleen Kennedy — who is a remarkable person and producer — run and lead Lucasfilm to a place where I think it wants to go. They let us make the movie we wanted to make.” (via)

NYCC: Next Marvel limited series goes back to the prequel era for Obi-Wan & Anakin


Obi-Wan & Anakin, a 5-issue limited series from writer Charles Soule (Lando) and artist Marco Checchetto (Shattered Empire) will debut in January, CBR reports. Here’s the official synopsis for #1:

“Before their military heroism in the Clone Wars, before their tragic battle on Mustafar, and many decades before their final confrontation on the Death Star… they were Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan learner, Anakin Skywalker. It’s been a few years since Obi-Wan pledged to train the young “chosen one,” but even as they have grown closer through training, it has been a difficult road. Now, called to a remote planet for assistance, Master and Padawan may be pushed to the breaking point. Writer Charles Soule (Lando, She-Hulk, Daredevil) and artist Marco Checchetto (Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Avengers World, Punisher) bring us a tale of the Jedi at the height of their power…”

Marvel has previously touched on the very end of the prequel era with the Rebels tie-in Kanan: The Last Padawan.

UPDATE: CBR has an interview with Soule about the mini-series.