One of the earliest standalone rumors we heard was that a young Han Solo would be the focus of one. In the spirit of everything old being new again, Making Star Wars says that may indeed be the case – well, the Han part at least – and that filming may “eventually overlap” with Episode VIII. Also looking to be attached to the spin-off in some fashion, though not necessarily as Han Solo? Aaron Paul.
The previous Solo rumor fell out of favor after we heard Kathleen Kennedy say that spin-off characters wouldn’t be “in and out of the saga episodes.” That doesn’t necessarily preclude the films dealing with Saga characters before or between their Saga appearances, but in any case – plans can change.
Making Star Wars reports that a production office for Gareth Edwards’ Star Wars film will be moving into Pinewood soon. The latest James Bond film, Spectre, began filming earlier this month, and it’s expected that much of the crew will move back onto Star Wars when that’s done.
We still know little-to-nothing about the Edwards film, our first standalone. Solidly, we only know that it’s being written by Gary Whitta and has a release date of December 16, 2016. Cinematographer Greig Fraser has admitted to being on board.
Rumorwise, there’s a supposed plot and a code name, plus the usual litany of wish-listed character names like Boba Fett.
There has not been a single casting rumor, which seems pretty odd… Or maybe not. In any case, we’ll probably hear something by spring, just as we did when The Force Awakens began filming. Jason at MSW hopes we’ll get more details about this once things really get going, and I’d be happy just to not have to call it ‘Spin-off #1′ at some point.
→ There’s already a 3D-printable pattern of the soccer ball droid. It’s a 1:1 scale, but: Your move, Hasbro. (Has anyone checked on the R2 Builders? Are they okay?)
→ Tosche Station’s Nanci makes the case for unlearning what you’ve learned.
→ Hey, remember spoilers and concept art and all that jazz? Making Star Wars hasn’t: They have a description of an “exotic city” that may be related to one of the places we saw in the trailer.
→ On that note, did Star Wars Underworld reveal the code name for Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta’s spin-off film?
→ I know we’ve heard all this before, but here’s Mark Hamill talking about George Lucas talking about the sequel trilogy in 1983.
Moving aside from the developing trailer madness, we have a report from /Film of the plot of the first spin-off from director Gareth Edwards and writer Gary Whitta. They claim it involves something we saw done multiple times in the old EU: The theft of the Death Star plans. Except this one involves bounty hunters and a character we might actually met in The Force Awakens first.
It’s not the kind of character-centric story we were expecting, but still sounds like something that will quite firmly fall into the ‘origin stories’ quote we have from Disney CFO Jay Rasulo. Thoughts?
It’s certainly not a surprise, but Pinewood CEO Ivan Dunleavy (via Variety) confirms that another Star Wars film will shoot at Pinewood. The Hollywood Reporter says this will be the mysterious spin-off from Gareth Edwards, which already has a December 2016 release date.
The BBC has video of Artoo’s appearance at the announcement. Reporter Lizo Mzimba also notes that per Pinewood’s website, The Force Awakened used their Exterior Tank.
We already know that Rian Johnson’s Episode VIII will film in London as well, and that there’s a ten-year deal in place with Pinewood so it won’t be the last.
→ A source has told the John Williams Fan Network that Williams has received a trailer for Episode VII from J.J. Abrams, has already written the music for it, and will be scoring on November 15th. Jason at Making Star Wars points out:
My bet has always been we would not see a trailer until Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in 2015, 8 months before Star Wars: Episode VII is released. But Trek friends have let me know that each time Abrams did a film, he did a teaser with stuff not from the film itself and that could mean we are about to see something for Christmas. The one thing I will say, is I have heard we would see the Star Wars “kick off” really begin at about the one year mark before the film and this lines up really well with that.
The earliest teaser for Star Trek Into Darkness I can recall definitely had footage, but I probably wouldn’t have bothered to cover one here that didn’t. (Well, not for Trek, anyway.) I hope there is a December teaser for Episode VII, even if it’s just old footage and a title – but Disney, you’re still not going to get me to see Into the Woods.
→ Taking a beeline to the standalones for a moment – Cinematographer Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty, Snow White and the Huntsman) has told Hitfix that he’ll be working on the Gareth Edwards Star Wars film that’s aiming for December 2016.
→ The Irish Examiner has some technical details on the Skellig Michael (aka Sceilig Mhichíl) shot, which was significantly scaled down.
→ Also at MSW, we have the last of the new alphabet fighters and more on Han Solo’s wardrobe.
→ Just when you think we’re free of Benedict Cumberbatch… He admits he’s been to the set. UGH.
With the rumor floating around about an Obi-wan movie (or movies,) it certainly didn’t take long for someone (Coming Soon) to ask Joel Edgerton if he’d be willing to take on the role of Owen Lars again.
Has anybody contacted you about possibly reprising Uncle Owen?
Joel Edgerton: The first I heard about it was today. When did that happen?
CS: A week or two ago it started to percolate.
Edgerton: So who would play Obi-Wan?
CS: Ideally Ewan, most likely in the period between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
Edgerton: Well then I definitely have to be there, right? Or they’re gonna get someone else? Am I too old for that now?
Well, Lucasfilm has 20 years to play with and the convenient excuse that folks age more rapidly on Tatooine, so…
Edgerton, who will next be seen in Exodus: Gods and Kings with Christian Bale, also has some nice things to say about being in Star Wars and his own ideas about Owen’s past.
Meanwhile, Bonnie Piesse (AOTC’s Beru) says it “would be pretty cool!”
We’ve already heard once that a standalone Obi-wan Kenobi film may be in the works, but now the ante has been upped: There could be three, reports Cinelinx. Not a formal trilogy, but three different stories that all happen to feature Obi-wan in the 20 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
Their source claims there’ll be flashbacks to the Clone Wars (and even The Clone Wars,) Qui-gon Jinn and, naturally, Owen Lars. (Assuming Joel Edgerton doesn’t price himself out anytime soon… But hey, if they can get Liam Neeson again, the sky’s the limit.)
Cinelinx’s Jordan Maison wonders if these are just various pitches, or if they’ll wait to see how an Obi-wan film does before they okay more. But one thing is for sure: There’s a lot of enthusiasm out there for more Obi-wan.
→ Jedi News is replicating the Foodles magic to find two more newly registered productions: LUNAK HEAVY INDUSTRIES and SPACE BEAR INDUSTRIES. One is no doubt our first spin-off – is the other spin-off #2 or Episode VIII? Or something else entirely? Speculate away, my pretties!
→ Both Oscar Isaac and Carrie Fisher are in the press today, and they’re both talking (a bit) about Star Wars. Everyone’s jumping over Isaac’s ‘hundreds of stormtroopers’ line, but I think the other stuff he says is way more interesting. Carrie, of course, is Carrie.
→ BEARDWATCH: As of last week, we can report that Oscar Isaac is sporting only minimum scruff. BLONDEWATCH: Carrie Fisher is still blonde. We think.
→ J.J. Abrams will receive the Visual Effects Society’s Visionary Award in February.
→ Yearbook photos of Adam Driver prove he looked exactly like you’d expect Adam Driver to look like in high school.
Making Star Wars was busy last night. There’s a whole grab-bag of stuff from a source playing off the recent rumors, including the Luke timeline, the ‘guards’ at Greenham, Moraband, the Sith lineage and Daisy Ridley’s character’s name. But if you believe any of this, the biggest bombshell here may be that an Obi-wan Kenobi spin-off is higher in the pipeline than we may have expected:
I’ve heard from quite a few people now that an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie is in the works. For the spin-off movies they were initially going to stay away from any Jedi or Sith characters. But I’m hearing now that because of the popularity of Obi-Wan (fans recently voting for him on the official website etc) that an art team is now working with a writer on concepts for an Obi-Wan movie.
Of course an Obi-wan spinoff seems pretty much inevitable, with Ewan MacGregor game and twenty years between the trilogies to set it in, but the earlier rumors have mainly focused on characters like Boba Fett and Han Solo.
They also spotted a Tumblr post from a girl whose boyfriend is an extra at Greenham Common – she claims that Harrison Ford will be on set Monday.