With a tweet from co-director Chris Miller captioned “Han shot first,” we learn that the Han Solo standalone has begun shooting. The slate says ‘Red Cup,’ the film’s shooting title. (Solo… Get it?)
The movie stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, plus Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson in yet-unknown roles. Posts like these from directors are usually followed by a StarWars.com announcement which may reveal further info (like, perhaps, a new release date?) so we’ll keep any eye out.
Woody Harrelson is indeed joing the Han Solo standalone, StarWars.com confirms today. The casting was first reported by Variety last week.
“We couldn’t be more excited to work with an artist with as much depth and range as Woody,” said the film’s directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. “His ability to find both humor and pathos, often in the same role, is truly unique. He is also very good at ping pong.”
Harrelson joins Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke as the film’s fourth confirmed cast member.
Like the last few annoucements, StarWars.com declines to use any release date for the movie besides “2018.” It’s been heavily rumored and seems fairly likely that the film will move to a December release date, just like The Force Awakens, Rogue One and Episode VIII before it.
Later Wednesday, Harrelson commented on the role during a Facebook Live chat with Mashable, confirming the “mentor” portion of the original report. (via)