July 25th, 2013 by Dunc · 5 Comments
The second Celebration Europe – and our first Celebration of the post-Disney era – has officially begun with a press conference reuniting much of the Return of the Jedi cast. Luckily, Dan Brooks of StarWars.com live-blogged it.
Don’t forget, our own @jamesjawa is in Germany, too!
Tagged: anthony daniels · carrie fisher · celebration europe ii · ian mcdiarmid · jeremy bulloch · mark hamill · peter mayhew · return of the jedi · warwick davis
July 8th, 2013 by Dunc · No Comments
The blogside. It’s a hot button issue in many fandoms right now – just ask anyone hanging around Game of Thrones lately – and Bria at Tosche Station explains on why it’s important to have diversity in Star Wars.
Oh, Carrie! Carrie Fisher shares some ideas for Episode VII. They are very… Carrie.
Who wants in now? Star Wars alumni Warwick Davis, Samuel L. Jackson and Ray Park. Spinoffs for everyone?
Disney business. Bob Iger will remain at the helm of Disney through at least 2016. And with The Lone Ranger’s opening-weekend belly flop, Disney has plenty of reasons to be thankful for their recent acquisitions. One expert expects Disney to net about $733M for 2015′s Episode VII alone.
Filed: sequel trilogy
Tagged: carrie fisher · disney · episode vii · ray park · samuel l jackson · standalone films · the blogside · warwick davis
May 11th, 2013 by Dunc · 3 Comments
In ‘Nightmare and Silver,’ the Doctor and Clara head for ‘the greatest theme park in the universe,’ only to find it closed and inhabited only by a shabby few, including Warwick Davis. Cybermen ensue, because of course they do. The episode is written by Neil Gaiman and is the last before next week’s season finale, ‘The Name of the Doctor.’
In other sci-fi TV news, it’s pilot season! ABC picked up Joss Whedon’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., bringing the Marvel synergy to live-action TV. (ABC will air a preview of the show on Sunday.) They also picked up Once Upon a Time spin-off Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and sci-fi mystery show Resurrection
Two J.J. Abrams pilots were picked up as well: Fox nabbed robot police drama Almost Human, while Fox picked up Believe, a collabration with Alfonso Cuarón about a telekinetic ten-year-old. It’s no big shock that The Vampire Diaries spinoff The Originals got picked up, but the CW also greenlit post-apocalyptic The 100, a remake of The Tomorrow People and the human/alien romance Star-Crossed.
Meanwhile, in the cable realm, both SyFy’s Defiance and BBC America’s Orphan Black are getting second seasons.
You can check out the full slate of pilots – picked up and passed over both – at The Hollywood Reporter.
Tagged: doctor who · jj abrams · superheroes · warwick davis
March 16th, 2013 by Dunc · 1 Comment
The back half of Season 7 comes to BBC and BBC America in a matter of weeks! That’s the BBC promo above, but Entertainment Weekly has another trailer with different footage. And yes, you will spy Star Wars alum Warwick Davis – he appears in the second-to-last episode of the season
The show is back March 30th on both sides of the pond.
Tagged: doctor who · trailers · video · warwick davis
February 14th, 2013 by Dunc · 1 Comment
It’s been a while since we checked in with progress on Celebration Europe, so here’s what’s been happening.
Warwick Davis will be the con’s Celebrity Host, overseeing the “the show’s biggest events” and guests. Thus far only Dave Filoni has been confirmed, but there’s sure to be more big names on the way.
And on that note, Pablo Hidalgo continues his wildly successful run as host of the Behind-The-Scenes Stage.
They’ve also announced the art show lineup, which includes Joe Corroney, Hugh Fleming, Tsuneo Sanda, Chris Trevas and many more.
And if you’re wondering, yes, it looks like there are still VIP tickets available.
Tagged: celebration europe ii · pablo hidalgo · warwick davis
December 13th, 2012 by Dunc · 10 Comments
USA Today reports that a digitally restored version of Lucasfilm’s fantasy film Willow will be coming to DVD on March 12.
Willow was originally released in 1988. It was produced and written by George Lucas, directed by Ron Howard, and starred Warwick Davis, Val Kilmer, and Joanne Whalley.
The Blu-ray will contain commentary from Howard, Davis’s own personal video diary, and and Dennis Muren’s “From Morf to Morphing: The Dawn of Digital Filmmaking” with a new intro.
Anyone who thinks George Lucas might have issues with redheaded ladies working for evil empires should probably check this one out. Of course, as a child of the late 80′s, I admit I have a HUGE soft spot for this movie and will totally be buying it.
Filed: film · lucasfilm
Tagged: blu-ray · warwick davis · willow
November 7th, 2012 by Dunc · 5 Comments
Yesterday, we found out that The Clone Wars brought in David Tennant, who played the Tenth Doctor. Today? The BBC announces that Warwick Davis is guesting on Doctor Who. (Doctor Who fans: That link may also contain spoilers, if you don’t want to know who the episode’s villains will be!)
Davis will appear in the current season’s penultimate episode, which was scripted by writer Neil Gaiman. Gaiman’s first Who episode, ‘The Doctor’s Wife,’ won a Hugo.
Davis began his career playing Wicket in Return of the Jedi and has since appeared in The Phantom Menace and the Harry Potter films. His most recent role was starring as ‘himself’ in the sitcom Life’s Too Short.
Doctor Who is currently on hiatus – the second half of the seventh season (or, yes, series if you’re going to Brit-pick) will start on Christmas and continue with eight episodes through the spring. That’s when we’ll see Davis’ episode.
Filed: star wars · tv
Tagged: doctor who · warwick davis
August 17th, 2012 by Dunc · 2 Comments
Pablo Hidalgo looks at Day 2 on the Behind the Scenes stage, which starts off with the Del Rey panel and ends with a tribute to Brian Daley. Also, Warwick Davis, Hasbro, the Ralph McQuarrie retrospective, and model making. You know where we’ll be next week!
Not that Pablo says he expects the Del Rey panel to “be dominated by audience Q&A,” so start thinking up some good questions… I’ll have a few general Q&A tips early next week.
And Aaron Allston has posted his signing and panel schedule. We got Zahn’s the other day. UPDATE: And here’s Del Rey’s full Celebration VI schedule.
Filed: conventions · expanded universe
Tagged: celebration vi · pablo hidalgo · warwick davis
August 15th, 2010 by jawajames · 5 Comments
Walt Disney World’s Hollywood Studios created a fantastic evening with their Last Tour to Endor party, commemorating the last day of the Star Tours attraction. Fans were treated to their final rides on the Starspeeder 3000 before it closed for a revamp as well as some unique other experiences.
The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular hosted a one-night-only special mashup show called “Raiders of the Lost Jedi Temple of Doom” where two fan film makers combine Indiana Jones and Star Wars in making the ultimate fan film. Special cameo performances were made in the three shows by such stars as Seth Green, Mark Hamill, Warwick Davis, Anthony Daniels, Jaime King, and Jeremy Bulloch. George Lucas attended the second show, where Seth Green announced that Anthony Daniels would be voice acting in the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special.
Also brought out was some shows from Star Wars weekends: the Jedi Academy training and the Star Wars dance contest. The evening was capped off by a supremely awesome fireworks show set to Star Wars music. “Duel of the Fates” and the assault on the Death Star were my favorites.
Filed: conventions · film
Tagged: anthony daniels · celebration v · disney · indiana jones · mark hamill · seth green · star tours · warwick davis
October 4th, 2009 by Dunc · 25 Comments
As the legion of Star Wars accounts on Twitter grows, it’s getting harder to keep track of. It’s impossible to list everyone, but here are a few accounts that may be of interest.
Please note that although we provide this page as a service to fans to find official accounts and other people they may wish to follow, we do not encourage pestering or harassing celebrities and/or other fans. Please be respectful to the celebrities and each other.
And if you’re wondering about hashtags, StarWars.com has some suggestions (though I’m not about to give up on #EpisodeVII!)
- Carrie Fisher (@CarrieFFisher) Played Princess Leia in the original trilogy.
- Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) Played Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy.
- Anthony Daniels (@ADaniels3PO) Played C-3PO in all six movies.
- Ewan McGregor (@mcgregor_ewan) Played Obi-wan Kenobi in the prequel trilogy.
- Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) All -around badass; Played Mace Windu in the prequel trilogy.
- David Prowse (@isDARTHVADER) Played Darth Vader (in the suit) for the original trilogy.
- Peter Mayhew (@TheWookieeRoars) Played Chewbacca in the original trilogy and ROTS.
- Bonnie Piesse (@BonniePiesse) Played Beru Lars in AOTC and ROTS.
- Ahmed Best (@ahmedbest) Played Jar Jar Binks in the prequels.
- Warwick Davis (@WarwickADavis) Played Wicket W. Warrick in Return of the Jedi as well as several characters in The Phantom Menace and many other films.
- Ray Park (@PARKYBOY74) Played Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace.
- Richard LeParmentier (@AdmiralMotti) Played Admiral Motti in A New Hope.
- Joel Aron ( @joelaron ) Visual effects on Revenge of the Sith, The Clone Wars
- Bad Robot (@bad_robot) Home base of Episode VII director J.J. Abrams.
- Dave Filoni (@dave_filoni) Supervising director of The Clone Wars, Rebels.
- Phil Tippett (@PhilTippett) VFX artist who now heads Tippet Studio; Did stop motion effects for ANH and ESB.
- Greg Weisman (@Greg_Weisman) Writer on Rebels. Worked on Gargoyles, Young Justice.
- Matthew Wood (@matthewood) Skywalker Sound; Voice of General Grievous in Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars.
- Matt Lanter (@MattLanter) Voice of Anakin Skywalker in The Clone Wars
- Ashley Eckstein (@HerUniverse) Voice of Ahsoka Tano. Used mostly for Her Universe business, and also listed under licensees, but Ashley shares other stuff here as well.
- James Arnold Taylor (@JATactor) Voice of Obi-Wan in The Clone Wars
- Catherine Taber (@cattaber) Voice of Padme Amidala in The Clone Wars
- Sam Witwer (@SamWitwer) Voice of Darth Maul on The Clone Wars, Galen Marek/Starkiller in The Force Unleashed.
- Dee Bradley Baker (@deebradleybaker) Voice of The Clone Wars clonetroopers.
- Phil LaMarr (@phillamarr) Voice of The Clone Wars’ Kit Fisto.
- Meredith Salenger (@MeredthSalenger) voiced Barriss Offee in The Clone Wars.
- Simon Pegg (@simonpegg) Voice of Dengar in The Clone Wars. Director/Actor, Shaun of the Dead, Scottie in Star Trek prequel/reboot.
- Greg Proops (@GregProops) Voice of Beed Annodue in The Phantom Menace.
- Peter Serafinowicz (@serafinowicz) Voice of Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace.
Lucasfilm and licensees
Other official types
- Chris Argyropoulos (@ThatChrisA) Lucasfilm Publicist
- Dan Brooks (@dan_brooks) Works for StarWars.com
- Tracy Cannobbio (@Tcann13) Lucasfilm Publicist
- Mary Franklin (@MaryLFL) Sr. Event Lead for Lucasfilm, queen of all she surveys
- Jennifer Heddle (@jenheddle) Senior Editor (fiction) at Lucasfilm.
- Pablo Hidalgo (@infinata) Brand Communication Manager for Lucasfilm, author, internet rockstar
- Leland Chee (@HolocronKeeper) Keeper of the Holocron, Lucas Licensing
- Matt Martin (@missingwords) Works for StarWars.com
- Erich Schoeneweiss (@Darth_Duff) Del Rey editor
- Randy Stradley (@Randy_Stradley) Vice President of Publishing, Dark Horse Comics
- Aaron Allston (@aaronallston) Author, X-Wing, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi series.
- Kevin J. Anderson (@TheKJA) Author, The Jedi Academy Trilogy
- Corinna Bechko (@CorinnaBechko) Writer, Legacy
- Haden Blackman (@HadenBlackman) LucasArts / Writer, The Force Unleashed
- Jeremy Barlow (@Jeremy_Barlow) Writer / Dark Horse editor
- Bonnie Burton (@bonniegrrl) Writer, You Can Draw: Star Wars
- Nathan P. Butler (@swfanworks) Writer, ‘Equals and Opposites’ / StarWarsFanWorks.com
- Chris Cassidy (@Yav14) Writer, ‘Precipice’
- James.S.A.Corey (@JamesSACorey) aka Daniel Abraham (@AbrahamHanover) and Ty Franck. Authors, Empire and Rebellion: Honor Among Thieves.
- Paul Ens (@paulens) Writer, R2-D2: Beneath the Dome, ‘Evasive Action’ webstrips / Owner of Red 5 Comics / Former Director of Lucas Online
- Jason Fry (@jasoncfry) Author, The Essential Atlas
- Christie Golden (@ChristieGolden) Author, Fate of the Jedi
- Kevin Hearne (@KevinHearne) Author, upcoming Empire and Rebellion Luke novel.
- Helen Keier (@HelenKeier) Writer, The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Drew Karpyshyn (@DrewKarpyshyn) Author, Darth Bane novels.
- Paul S. Kemp (@Paulskemp) Author, Crosscurrent
- Tim Lebbon (@timlebbon) Author, Dawn of the Jedi novel
- John Jackson Miller (@jjmfaraway) Writer, Knights of the Old Republic, Kenobi
- Abel G. Peña (@ThePhilodoxer) Writer, things fanboys love
- J. W. Rinzler (@jwrinzler) Writer, The Making of Star Wars, other nonfiction.
- Joe Schreiber (@joeschreiber1) Author, Death Troopers
- Mike Stackpole (@MikeStackpole) Author, X-Wing series
- Matthew Stover (@MWStover ) Author, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Revenge of the Sith novelization.
- Tom Taylor (@TomTaylorMade) Writer, Invasion comic.
- Paul Urquhart (@quhart) Writer, The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Dan Wallace (@danwall88) Author, The Essential Atlas
- Martha Wells (@marthawells1) Author, Empire and Rebellion: Razor’s Edge
- Sean Williams (@adelaidesean) Author, The Force Unleashed novelizations
- Ryder Windham (@ryderwindham)
- Brian Wood (@brianwood) Writer, Star Wars, the comic that began in 2013
Fan sites and the like
- Cleolinda Jones (@cleolinda) Snarker, Movies in 15 Minutes
- Kristen Bell (@IMKristenBell) Actress, Fanboys, Veronica Mars
- Felicia Day (@feliciaday) Actress, Dr. Horrible, The Guild
- Seth Green (@sethgreen) Robot Chicken.
- Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) Director, Iron Man
- Jaime King (@Jaime_King) Actress, Fanboys, Sin City
- Greg Grunberg (@greggrunberg) Actor, Heroes, Alias
- J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) Author, Harry Potter series
- William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) William. Shatner.
- Joss Whedon (@josswhedon) Geek god, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, The Avengers, etc.
- Will Wheaton (@wilw) Actor, internet superstar
- Weird Al Yankovic (@alyankovic) Duh.
Filed: expanded universe · fandom · people · star wars
Tagged: ahmed best · anthony daniels · carrie fisher · james arnold taylor · licensees · matt lanter · matthew wood · ray park · social networking · starwars.com · voice actors · warwick davis