Disney annouced the dates for 2014′s Star Wars Weekends in Orlando last month, but many of us no doubt missed them in the midst of holiday craziness. So they’ve made it to StarWars.com today, and are set for May 16 – 18, May 23 – 25, May 30 – June 1 and June 6 – 8.
It has come to Santa Maul’s attention that Darth Vader, that pan-fried brute, is now being used in place of Santa Claus at Disney World. Santa Maul supposes this is to be expected, as nothing says plebeian like Disney, but he finds the use of a wishy-washy Sith like Vader to be an afront to the very nature of Sithmas. And there probably wasn’t even any violence to liven things up!
Santa Maul has reported the incident to his master, Darth Sinterklaas. He expects vengeance will be swift.
Disney Parks. TheForce.net has a source that disagrees with the earlier MiceChat report that Disneyland’s Star Wars plans were put on hold due to budget concerns. While there is a hold, they say that it’s due to Episode VII. “They didn’t want to build attractions/a land without including the new movies,” the source says. “So since the teams don’t have a final script they can’t add anything from the new movies.”
Rumors. In their latest Q&A, Jedi News and Jedi Master SQL discusses The Clone Wars and spin-off films. For Clone Wars he echos the earlier reports out of Poland, but adds that they will be “non-sequential episodes.” The iOS app may no longer be in the picture, but there will be an “online digital distribution model” that will include far more than just TV episodes (“films, books, comics, and online web content.”) As for the first standalone, he doesn’t see how they can get it out for 2016, but we may hear about the director and producer as early as next week. He’s also still stuck on Benedict Cumberbatch.
No. This doesn’t seem to have much traction yet aside from some random folks on Twitter and Tumblr, but beware folks using Cédric Delsaux’s ‘The Falcon’s Hiding Place’ as being the Episode VII Falcon. The original image (third from the right on the second to last row of Delsaux’s official gallery) was taken in Dubai in 2009.
MiceAge has been a primary source for all the rumors of Star Wars attractions in the works for the Disney parks, particularly Disneyland, but their latest dispatch is troubling. Problems with over-budget infrastructure implementations have placed almost all Imagineering projects on hold – or canceled. Here’s the part that pertains to Star Wars:
Originally the plan to add Star Wars to Tomorrowland was going to be divided into two phases; a first phase involving some placemaking and a replacement for Captain EO to be finished prior to the 60th Anniversary, and a second phase kicking off in late 2015. The second phase included the Speeder Bike E Ticket ride, Ewok village and forest where Autopia currently is, a Millenium Falcon walk-thru where the PeopleMover platform is, tearing out the decaying PeopleMover tracks and moving the Astro Orbiter up on top of the Space Mountain concourse, and turning Tomorrowland Terrace into an interactive Tatooine Cantina restaurant show. All of that is now on hold indefinitely. Although Anaheim gets off a bit easier with its Star Wars plan on hold, as the plans for many of these Star Wars elements coming to Disney Hollywood Studios in WDW have just been cancelled outright.
None of this has been officially announced, of course, and it might be bunk for all we know… But this doesn’t give us much hope that for expanded Star Wars features at Disneyland in time for the next Celebration.
Video. Bob Iger talks to Bloomberg TV about choosing Episode VII’s release date and confirms (again) that Disney is developing Star Wars attractions for their parks.
Meanwhile, J.J. Abrams and Neil Gaiman were on BBC Newsnight with author Doug Dorst to talk about their book S, and, eventually, Star Wars and casting. (13:00 mark.)
Cartoon. Disney XD has a site up for Rebels. (via)
Wow. Yeah, The Wrap really did go ask Disney about the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare and Episode VII. Hard hitting.
Countdown. How many days until Episode VII? (via)
MiceChat is back with some new rumors for the still unannounced but very likely Star Wars renovations at Disneyland, which they’ve previously reported will be taking over Tomorrowland there.
Their report today includes a landing pad the Millennium Falcon “an elaborate walk-through attraction and meet ‘n greet location for your favorite Wookie co-pilot,” a Cantina, and… a “new Speeder Bike thrill ride” with an Ewok-centric area surrounding it. You Disney aficionados head to the link for the specifics of what these’ll be replacing and repurposing.
There may not have been big Star Wars movie news at the D23 Expo, but Pablo Hidalgo did drop some interesting hints regarding some other upcoming projects.
As Slashfilm points out, Pablo hinted that the Jedi legacy “casts a long shadow” and “you will feel that presence” on Rebels, and that (as the rumors claim) the Orange Harvest bounty may make it to Disneyland first.
He also said that there’s more Clone Wars bonus footage than we think, and “they’re close to pushing it out,” and “thinking out of the box” about distribution. We may not have seen the last of Detours, either. And for those who are particularly old school:
Well, what do we have here? It’s a series of ‘Orange Harvest’ (nuk nuk) crates labeled as containing (or previously containing) various items from the Star Wars galaxy. And… There are blueprints. Will we be getting some kind of theme park announcement after all, or is this it? Patience!
More pictures at Inside the Magic.
Get a closer look at the blueprints under the cut.
Randomly: George Lucas was the Executive Producer and co-wrote Captain Eo
. Francis Ford Coppola directed.
Micechat is at it again, with some more inside (and unconfirmed) information on the details of the Anaheim Tomorrowland’s Star Wars makeover.
In addition to the PeopleMover makeover they mentioned last time, it’s twilight for the revival of Micheal Jackson’s Captain Eo as the theater is expected to be the home of “a new Star Wars 3D movie.” Brand-new, or the conversions of the old films? More turnover if they make a new short film – the original Eo was only 17 minutes long – but I wouldn’t be shocked if they show the actual films periodically as well. Work on existing buildings in the area would be done in time for Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary (July 17th, 2015) and could wrap up by “early spring” – in time for Celebration, perhaps?
They also mention that, unsurprisingly, Star Tours will get new destinations from the sequels.
The “biggest of the Star Wars offerings” won’t open until after the anniversary, and construction “would be in conjunction to a similar Star Wars expansion for Disney’s Hollywood Studios” in Orlando.
None of this will be announced this weekend at D23, they say – and we’ve been told not be expect anything more than very small ‘hints’ on upcoming Star Wars theme park attractions. But it seems that there’s plenty more in the works.
It’s not much, and it’s not particularly surprising, but the Disney Insider has confirmed that new Star Wars attractions are in the works. There will be “teasers for new attractions based on Avatar and Star Wars that we’re working on now for the Disney Parks” revealed at August’s D23 Expo. (via)
The most recent rumors on their plans are vast and varied – hopefully the hints are illuminating!