The issue also features a short story by Christie Golden that ties into Crucible, a Padme piece by blogger Tricia Barr and a look back at The Clone Wars S5 from Eric Geller. The issue should be on newsstands on or around June 12.
June 1st, 2013 by Dunc · 4 Comments
April 9th, 2013 by jawajames · 5 Comments
Great news, my loyal, well mostly loyal, crew, from your captain, Hondo! I’ve won the StarWars.com This Is Madness contest. [Editor's note: Hondo is not being entirely truthful. Yoda is the official winner. You can see the official results here. Also note that the official header image on the website today is Vader with the quote: "I find your lack of faith disturbing."] Team Hondo can rejoice in my victory. [Editor's Note: Yoda won. We have video proof from ESPN UNITE.]
As you can see in the video above, Darth Vader has bowed out of the contest, and he got only 40% of the vote. That leaves 60% for me. Or if you look at the way I set it up over the weekend, 100% of the votes were really for me. So that’s really 160% of the vote for me! So somebody needs to give Matt Martin 10 credits, I heard he bet it all on me, which is always a good option. Unless I’m betting on the other guy, and in those cases, I usually know something.
And as customary with victory speeches, I must thank all of my supporters. You. and you, and that guy over there. But especially all the fans on #teamhondo on twitter, and Justin at Jedi News and Tricia at Fangirl Blog. But not Cad Bane. Ok, enough frivol.. frivoli.. fun and games. Time to get back to work – I smell profit.
April 7th, 2013 by jawajames · 4 Comments
It is I, Hondo Ohnaka, bane of both Jedi and Sith, and I have one more pick for the StarWars.com game This Is Madness. It’s the final match and if you notice I’m not in it. Because I have better things to do, like make money rather than sit around waiting to face off against Yoda or Darth Vader. Really, a green puppet is no contest for the likes of me! And an old in a body suit with no eyebrows? Again, I laugh at the thought. Really, they should put both of them together against me. Certainly all the ladies would still pick me. It’s this jacket, it makes me look handsome.
So go to This Is Madness and vote, vote for Hondo. You can’t do that you say. Well, I have a solution. Mmmm… actually I don’t anymore. It sounded good at the time when I came up with it, but then I passed out. No, Hondo never passes out. I just got sleepy after too much frivolity at the wake of the fearsome pirate Guybrush Threepwood. But there was a plan.
Despite the brackets, Hondo is not on the dark side. So we have a light side winner – Master Yoda, and a dark side winner – Darth Vader, and a not-light-side-nor-dark-side winner – that’s me! And since it’s no contest, I’ve already won! So, #TeamHondo, you can vote for whomever you wish for second place – the incredible shrinking Hulk, or Timmy the human piece of toast. Because a vote for either of them is really a vote for Hondo.
Because: This Is Madness.
April 4th, 2013 by jawajames · No Comments
Ptooey! This is not good business at all. I, Captain Hondo Ohnaka am back, and I’m about to hang up my boots for This Is Madness. Apparently, everyone does the opposite of what your wise pirate captain says. So you’re all fired unless you win one for my Kowakian monkey lizard!
Yes, I’m still upset that more people voted for Chewbacca than for my favorite Jedi, Ahsoka Tano. And now Yoda has bested Obi-Wan in the battle of the Order 66 survivors. This is not profitable for me at all. So time to change my business plan. Phase III – Profit!
So, in today’s matches:
- Light side: We have R2-D2 against Chewbacca. It’s like the battle of your favorite appliance against your favorite pet. Both are loyal and handy with machines and prone to saying things that shouldn’t be repeated in proper company. Hondo does prefer having a droid on his team over a Wookiee, simply because you don’t have to pay a droid. So vote Artoo. Don’t let the Wookie win.
- Dark side: Boba Fett vs. Palpatine. This one is the match between the walking box of matches and the walking sparkplug. Both are good way to start a fire, but neither make for good company. Well, Palpatine will at least talk to you, but he’s always cackling and talking about your very special destiny. So I guess Palpatine.
Then we move on to the final match for each side for the following day:
- Light Side: Yoda vs Artoo or Yoda vs Chewbacca. Yoda is one of those Jedi who never tells you the truth, and is all high and mighty from his temple chair on Coruscant. While Artoo and Chewbacca are both folk I’d actually have work for me on my crew. Yoda’s not much into piracy. So vote for Artoo or Chewbacca, you will. That’s my Yoda attempt. I’m pretty sure I did it in a convincing accent.
- Dark Side: Darth Vader against the winner of Boba Fett / Palpatine. I’m just going to assume that Boba Fett is going to win against Palpatine. But vote Darth Vader anyway. While Fett’s a businessman like myself, his business is usually involving rounding up some of MY business associates. And that’s not good for my bottom line. Vader, on the other hand, is so consumed with tracking down Jedi that he leaves me alone. And every now and then he hires me for a job when having the Empire won’t look good for the role. It’s like he knows me from somewhere, but I can’t place it.
So Team Hondo, go vote on the website or you’re all fired! And since I haven’t paid you yet, get fired and you’ll walk away with just the shoes on your feet. Unless you don’t have any shoes. Or feet. And if you don’t have feet, who needs shoes?
April 2nd, 2013 by jawajames · 7 Comments
With the light side vote in today’s StarWars.com This Is Madness game a choice between Chewbacca and Ahsoka Tano, Ashley Eckstein has hit the campaign trail to rally fans of Snips and The Clone Wars to stay in the game, and advance a character from The Clone Wars to the next round. Last weekend at WonderCon, she got some key endorsements, even from the original Chewbacca himself, Peter Mayhew. Plus she and her coach & husband David have made a second video, with some special guests to show why voting Ahsoka is the way to go!
We’ve already told you, via Team Hondo, to vote Ahsoka. So go do it, already. Or vote again.
April 2nd, 2013 by jawajames · 2 Comments
Greetings, it is I, the galaxy’s best pirate captain. I had a great weekend: I gave the crew some time off to enjoy celebrating the annual orb rebirth festival of Quay. What? You don’t believe in Quay’s ability to predict the future? You must be some sort of Waru worshipper.
Anyway, back to discussing StarWars.com’s ‘This Is Madness’. In the last round, Skywalker’s astro droid beat out the Princess of Alderaan and young Boba Fett came out more than a head above his father.
But this is the key last round of the Sixteen Strikes Back. On the light side, we have Chewbacca, first mate of the Millennium Falcon, against Ahsoka Tano, Jedi pony farmer. (Even I have visited Ashoka’s pony farm!) And no disrepect to a walking carpet that could rip my arms off, but I must go with my favorite of the Jedi, Ahsoka. And you must too, or else Hondo will have you scrubbing the outside of my ship… while we’re flying!
And on the dark side, Count Dooku versus Emperor Palpatine. If Count Dooku is a major thorn in my business, I could imagine that a full Emperor could be two thorns worth of pain. So better be safe and vote Emperor Palpatine. That Chancellor fellow seemed ok, for a politician. How bad could he be as emperor?
As we move into the third round tomorrow, Obi-Wan vs Yoda: Hondo likes Obi-Wan Kenobi today. Perhaps since Obi-Wan is both a worthy ally and sometimes a decent businessman. And he’s never thrown me in jail. Sometimes not paid me for all my trouble, but it is what it is. And Darth Vader vs Jabba the Hutt. If I told you half the things I knew about Jabba the Hutt, you’d probably end up on one of his hit lists. But if I told what I think I know about Darth Vader, I’d end up on his bad side. And I like my neck the way it is. Well, I could moisturize a little more. So, Vader.
March 28th, 2013 by jawajames · 5 Comments
It’s Hondo, again. You didn’t think that I would post two days in a row – well, this is Madness! Friends, I must thank you for getting out there to ensure that my favorite Jedi, Ahsoka Tano, edged out that Captain Rex in yesterday’s final bracket of the first level of StarWars.com’s This Is Madness character voting game. I’m sure that Team Ahsoka appreciated the support of Team Hondo.
Now moving onto the next round of This Is Madness: Sixteen Strikes Back. Really, only eight of these characters will be striking back… the other eight will be the ones striking out. That’s a baseball metaphor, and now you are totally surprised that ol’ Hondo knows what a metaphor is. I frequently have to use them to explain things to my crew. They are… I’d say, but I think one or two of them can actually read. But we were talking about This Is Madness, round two. Since Phase II of my plan to win has not panned out due to great support for Padme, Tarkin and Rex, but I’m still the top person not working for the Republic on the charts! Victory!
Today, on the light side, we have Han Solo versus Obi-Wan Kenobi, while on the dark side, it’s Darth Vader against Darth Maul. This throws me into a
connun.. conunn… situation. Obi-Wan Kenobi seems like a pretty good Jedi, and Darth Maul is very menacing – I heard that he took over Mandalore. But the two of them (and Maul’s big horn-headed brother) did a great job of turning my already smashed up base into an even bigger mess. It took a week for my men to round up all the tookas again. Voting for Obi-Wan and Maul seems like a smart thing to do, and to show support for The Clone Wars.
But this Han Solo – he seems more my kind of trouble-maker. He’d be a good pirate. And that’s a trap. Pirates should never vote for other pirates – you never know when they’re going to switch sides. Well, you know, when the other side offers more money. But sometimes you get betrayed for unprofitable reasons like you once accidentally kidnapped their parents, or they are really in it for some revolution, or there’s a princess. So, stick with voting for Jedi: you know where they stand, and you can make them squirm. Obi-Wan Kenobi. Plus I hear he enjoys a good drink whenever he can get away from the Jedi Temple. That makes him even better in Hondo’s book.
And also vote for Darth Maul. He may not have his own legs anymore, but hey – neither does Vader! There is something familiar about Vader, and that disturbs me – he’s like someone I once did business with, or maybe kidnapped, or something. My gut is telling me there’s something off about him. Maul, on the other hand, is worth voting for, because I do want to know what happened to him. He took over Mandalore, and wanted to get Obi-Wan back, and now he’s gone quiet – I hope I’m not part of his plans: crossing his path once is enough for Hondo!
As for the next day: Luke vs Yoda, and Jabba vs Cad Bane. I think Yoda has the best chance of beating Han, so go for the old puppet. Jabba vs Cad Bane – ugh: choose the bounty hunter that beat me out, or support him to vote for The Clone Wars. I’m torn on that one.
March 27th, 2013 by jawajames · 3 Comments
It is I, Hondo Ohnaka, Scourge of the Space Lanes, and I want you to vote in today’s StarWars.com This Is Madness. Go there now and vote for my favorite Jedi, Ahsoka Tano, on the Light Side bracket.
Hondo normally doesn’t let other people talk when he wants to talk, but Ashley & David Eckstein has this important message, above.
I have no quarrel with Captain Rex – he’s a good guy, maybe a little uptight. But if I had to stick around that Anakin guy all the time, I’d be on edge too – never know when that guy’s gonna snap and go on a mad rampage. Also, I never know if Rex is looking at me or making faces under that helmet of his. There’s a reason my men don’t hide their faces – but some of them are so ugly, they should!
But Ahsoka – she’s more than just a pretty face. Of all the Jedi I’ve done business with over the years, she’s my favorite. Mostly because she doesn’t hold a grudge against me for too long, what with that time she jumped on my ship while I was trying to
steal lightsaber crystals rescue those Jedi younglings from a damaged Jedi vessel. She’s got a good sense of when to fight, and when to talk, and I hear she’s looking for a new job. So go vote for her!
And in the dark side category, there’s Palpatine and IG-88. I think it’s in everyone’s best interest to vote for the Emperor. Because that’s what you do in an empire – vote for your emperor. I don’t want a visit from his stormtroopers – my base has been ransacked enough, thanks.
As for reviewing my previous picks this week, Team Hondo’s goal has sadly been slighted a bit by good performances by fellow-non-winners, Padme Amidala (who quite deserved being the top of the stack not advancing) and Count Dooku. Also, apparently my pick of Bossk seemed to push him closer to beating my own score.
So my loyal #TeamHondo followers, help push Ahsoka over the top!
March 25th, 2013 by jawajames · 2 Comments
Greetings from the sun-drenched canyons of Florrum. It’s me, your good buddy Hondo. After waking up from this long weekend (all weekends for Hondo are long weekends, except when profit is on the line), I checked StarWars.com’s ‘This Is Madness’ and saw that Phase II of #TeamHondo is proceeding as planned: Artoo-Detoo has trumped his golden counterpart, and Boba Fett has beaten out Dengar in a blowout. And both of these victories still show me, Hondo Ohnaka, to be the top of the non-advancing characters, which means I win or am continuing to win, or am the victor.
But today’s pick, which you’d better get in quick (by midnight ET/9 PM PT), is going to be tough to call:
- Light Side: Princess Leia vs. Padme Amidala. In my years as a pirate, I’ve learned a few things about ladies in power – usually they pack blasters and don’t take kindly to being kidnapped. But sometimes they do take kindly to my hospitality when we do business. But my choice is irrelevant – I’m being blackmailed you see – someone has threatened to plunder my base if I don’t tell you to vote for Leia. Normally, I don’t fall for these schemes, but even sometimes I know when I am outgunned. But never am I outwitted.
- Dark Side: Jango Fett vs. Bossk. Who brings their kid on all their business trips? Especially when their business is killing people. I don’t like kids on most days, but even I know what responsible parenting looks like. Bringing your kid to places where you will likely get shot at or laser-sworded: it’s a good way to not come out ahead. Plus Bossk has dry leathery skin like me, and we share some moisturizer tips. Forget that I said that. Just vote Bossk.
And for tomorrow’s votes:
- Light Side: Chewbacca vs. Wicket. Attack of the furballs, I say. Still, Chewbacca helped my friend, Ahsoka Tano, out of a bad situation. Plus he can fly a ship and play dejarik. I still don’t know what’s he’s saying, but then again, I have no idea what Wicket is saying either, and he just runs around with a spear. Chewbacca gets the vote, since he’s got skills I could actually use.
- Dark Side: Count Dooku vs. Tarkin. I was fortunate enough to meet this Dooku and keep him as a special guest. Too bad the Jedi didn’t pay up exactly the way I wanted. And then Dooku sends Grievous to trash my base! If Dooku is such a serious threat, how is it that I can capture him AND two Jedi all in one week? Tarkin – he’s sneaky and ambitious. I like that. Plus he can’t use the Force on me. Tarkin! Wait – Dooku is more likely to be able to exact revenge on me if I endorse his opponent. I can’t afford to have my base shot up again by battle droids. Dooku!
Okay, Team Hondo, get out there and do your civic duty – by stealing these elections!
March 22nd, 2013 by jawajames · 4 Comments
Hondo here. First off, I think that there may be some shady things going on with the ‘This Is Madness’ game at StarWars.com. Namely, that Cad Bane did better than me in a popularity contest. People want to hang out with me. People do not want to hang out with Cad Bane. I may not have gotten 72% of the dark side vote like Cad Bane, but I got 28%. And that’s a win for Hondo and for Team Hondo. We have, as those Browncoats say, done the impossible. Hondo has gotten more votes than any other second-place vote getter so far. Not even the great Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn got 28% against Obi-Wan Kenobi. And that’s how it is going to stay!
Team Hondo has a new mission: Make sure the lower seed in the rest of these first tier rounds does not beat Hondo’s record. So vote for the obviously more renowned character as the game goes into the lower quadrants on the board.
Phase II – Today’s picks for Team Hondo:
- Light Side: R2-D2 vs C-3PO. The Professor against everyone’s favorite character. And so really, pick everyone’s favorite character, R2-D2. As a pirate, while protocol droids come in handy when negotiating, an astromech is so much more versatile for breaking into things, smuggling things, and stealing loot. R2-D2.
- Dark Side: Boba Fett vs Dengar. Does Hondo even need to tell you who to vote for here? Actually, you don’t have to even vote. I’m that cocky.
Am I bummed that I didn’t decisively beat Cad Bane? No. Because I can still win the entire game. Because Hondo always ends up on top. Except when Jedi or Sith get in the way. Or when my men sell me out.
Big thanks to everyone who has been a part of #TeamHondo, especially to Justin at JediNews.co.uk (who also found a great Best of Hondo video), Tricia and Lex at Fangirl Blog (who gave us an update on the tookas), and Bryan at Big Shiny Robot! for letting me run amok on their sites. And all of our friends on Twitter, supporting #TeamHondo, and getting the word out online, Hondo raises his glass to you all. Team Hondo isn’t done yet, so stay tuned!