Time to start planning your summer vacation around Star Wars! Walt Disney World has announced the 2014 schedule of Star Wars Weekends, including the expansion to a fifth weekend and the addition of nightly fireworks.
Held at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars Weekends (each Fri-Sun from mid-May to mid-June) will be hosted by fan favorite voice actor James Arnold Taylor. This year’s theme, “Join the Rebellion,” looks to loosely tie into the launch of Rebels.
Sadly, Dunc’s favorite part of Star Wars Weekends will not be returning – the Hyperspace Hoopla show has been retired. The Star Wars dance-off stage show has done its last boogie and will be replaced with new shows and the Symphony in the Stars fireworks show. No word yet on whether Disney World will be doing a May the 4th event.
Planning out the rest of your travel itinerary?
- Legoland California in Carlsbad is having its annual Star Wars Days on the last weekend of March. No word yet on whether Legoland Florida will have its own Star Wars Days, which it first started at the Winter Haven park last year for May the 4th.
- Star Wars Identities, the traveling museum exhibition using Star Wars saga to explore the notion of identity, has just started its tour stop at the CITÉ DU CINEMA in Paris, and will continue to June 30, 2014.
- Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology, the traveling museum exhibition linking real world archaeology to our favorite adventurer, is back in 2014, with its second US stop, at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, from March 8 to August 10, and then it will spend the winter in Canada at the Telus World of Science Edmonton from October 11 to March 8, 2015.
- Want some Star Trek instead? io9 shows off theme park concept art for a Star Trek themed land that will open at Paramount Park Murcia (Spain) at the end of 2015, with a Starfleet Academy / Federation headquarters design. Start saving up your latinum for the trip to southeast Spain!
Disney annouced the dates for 2014′s Star Wars Weekends in Orlando last month, but many of us no doubt missed them in the midst of holiday craziness. So they’ve made it to StarWars.com today, and are set for May 16 – 18, May 23 – 25, May 30 – June 1 and June 6 – 8.
Last week’s best tweets bled over into Monday, because I’m sure you don’t want to wait a whole week for the Rebels stuff, right? Also: We saw Star Trek Into Darkness, the first week of Star Wars Weekends is a thing that happened, and Artoos invaded Lucasfilm. All that and more under the cut.
Bootleg time! Yoda and Anakin have a chat in this clip from the forthcoming bonus content from what would have been season 6 of The Clone Wars, as shown at Star Wars Weekends down in Orlando.
Star Wars Weekends began down in Orlando today, and you know what that means: Dance-Off With the Star Wars Stars! Here are the first videos from this year, courtesy Inside the Magic.
Caution: Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake and Taylor Swift below the cut.
Her Universe has revealed yet more new items to debut at Star Wars Weekends. There are 5 new tees, 1 new tank, and four new costume hoodies, plus the long-awaited X-Wing dress and a limited edition necklace.
Above is out ‘official’ reveal of the A-line X-Wing dress. At right is the limited edition Return of the Jedi necklace. Only 1,250 have been made, but only 500 of them will be sold (first come, first serve) at Star Wars Weekends. The remaining 750 will be available “at select Her Universe events” – during summer convention season, perhaps?
Head below the cut to see the rest of the new offerings – including another limited edition – and as always, click on the photos to see larger versions.
Start planning your vacation time, now. Disney has announced the dates for Star Wars Weekends 2013.
Each weekend from May 17th through June 9th in Orlando, Florida, you’ll get to meet a rotating array of Star Wars guests and enjoy other Star Wars shows and events at Disney Hollywood Studios. And you can usually count on The 501st and The Rebel Legion to be making appearances, as well.
Returning as hosts will be James Arnold Taylor (Obi-Wan) and Ashley Eckstein (Ahsoka) from The Clone Wars. Both will be continuing the shows they hosted last year. And both are the perfect fit to blend Star Wars and Disney, as both have professed their love of the two franchises. (Which are now one franchise. Maybe?)
Guest announcements and schedules will probably start going out in early 2013 so you can start planning which weekend you’d like to attend.
Start stocking up on your sunscreen!
Entertainment Weekly has the Clone Wars trailer that was shown during Star Wars Weekends at Disney, as well as some hints from Dave Filoni.
Cindal goes soap?
Spike was showing the prequels this weekend, so naturally Twitter chatter followed. Head beneath the cut, my padawans… Continue reading
So the CJ Tumblr is coming along. It was born from last-minute disappointment, but I’ve actually found it fairly useful for stuff that I just don’t have the time to really blog. (It’s the new fandom minute!) This week we’ve featured so far, among other things…
- I am probably never going to go to Star Wars Weekends, but there are exactly two things about it that I like: The Hyperspace Hoopla and the hilarious posters. (I also collected most of the new Her Universe stuff, so you can plan out your weekend shopping.)
- Before Dave Filoni ran The Clone Wars, he worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender. See the crossover image he created when he left.
- This adorable comic: Star Wars vs. The Avengers, as well as some comparisons.
- Yet more adorable comics! These two, by Chris Gugliotti, feature Boba Fett and the Rancor.
- Jedi and Sith cocktails. Of course the Jedi would think coconut rum was a good idea. Of course.
- The greatest YOLO post of all time. Well, one of them, maybe.
- And, of course, filk.