UPDATE: Moffat’s wife and Sherlock co-producer Sue Vertue has denied the rumor, saying that it’s “news to him!” Original report below:
So. Jedi News reports of rumblings that Doctor Who and Sherlock showrunner Steven Moffat has been offered a Star Wars film. They’re not sure if this is an Episode or standalone, but I’d guess at the latter.
Moffat is… highly controversial to say the least, particularly among female fans. But I do love his early Who (his/Matt Smith’s first full season is what hooked me on the show) and fairy-tale focus. Conflict! Of course, it’s just a rumor.
StarWars.com has annouced that Josh Trank will direct the second Star Wars standalone film. Chronicle, his directoral debut, netted him The Fantastic Four remake that he’s helming currently.
His Star Wars film is expected after Episode VIII, in 2018… Assuming they’re still planning on using the schedule of an Episode every other year. A rumor floating around pegs the 2018 spin-off as “Solo,” but Kathleen Kennedy maintains that the new movies “reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.”
In a statement, Trank said “The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time.”
Unlike the first standalone, they’re not announcing the writer, which makes me think this could be one of the films we already knew are slated to be written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg.
Interesting, Trank directed a fan film in 2007:
StarWars.com has announced the creative team for the first standalone Star Wars film: Directing will be Gareth Edwards. He doesn’t have a long resume, but he’s the man behind Hollywood’s latest Godzilla. On script duties is Gary Whitta, who wrote The Book of Eli, After Earth and several Walking Dead video games. The film, whatever it may be, has even been given a release date: December 16, 2016.
This raises a few big questions: We’ve previously heard that spin-offs would be written by Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg, but they are both rather busy: Kasdan has Episode VII, and Kinberg has his fingers in any number of pies. Are Edwards and Whitta doing Boba Fett, as recent rumors say that’s the first? Will Kasdan and Kinberg still be tackling their own spin-offs later on?
As for Edwards and Whitta themselves… I got nothing. The new Godzilla, his first big-budget feature, has been mostly well-received (though rather lacking in the women’s roles.) I’ve seen After Earth, and while it wasn’t great, I’m not sure how much of that you can lay at Whitta’s feet.
And we still have no idea of what their Star Wars film will actually be about. Count me in the shrug column for now.
StarWars-Union.de got some tips on what may be the first three spin-off films. Apparently this chart was shown at a Hasbro retail training course:
Fall 2014: Rebels
2015: Episode VII
2016: Boba Fett
2017: Episode VIII
2019: Episode IX
2020: Red Five
Boba Fett seems fairly clear-cut (or not,) but both Solo and Red Five leave plenty of room for interpretation. There have been rumors of a Han Solo film from nearly the first, but this doesn’t necessarily have to be a Han Solo film, although that’s probably our best guess right now. (Unless they really do plan to introduce Thracken – that’s a joke tweet, BTW.) And Red Five? The placement means that it could feature a character introduced in the sequels – the inheritor of Luke’s old call sign? I doubt they’d do a Luke film in the gap between A New Hope and Empire, but that’s a possibility as well. And what does Kathleen Kennedy’s claim that the standalone characters won’t be going “in and out of the saga episodes” mean to any of this?
In any case, thanks to StarWars-Union.de’s Christoph Wolf for the heads up and translation!
Bob Iger confirms third spin-off film. At today’s Disney earnings call, chairman Bob Iger said they have “at least three” standalone Star Wars films in mind. No details, naturally.
Making Star Wars says the Executive Breakfast did indeed happen this morning, and one subject of discussion was a Boba Fett spinoff film, which may be inevitable but isn’t apparently as straightforward as one would expect.
The problem, apparently? Making Fett into a film hero while maintaining his ‘menace.’ And presumably keeping things PG-13 at the most, Disney being Disney.
Honestly, the less I say about this the better, so, uh, take it away, commentators.
Has Jeremy Bulloch been asked to appear in… Something? Calling it now: He’s totally playing the Mayor of Sernpidal in his spin-off movie. But seriously, Bulloch is at the very least a cameo shoo-in for a (probable) Boba Fett film, or, if you want to go with something confirmed, Rebels. Marinate on it, Fettheads.
UPDATE: He was kidding. Shocking.
Buzz. Could the first spinoff film be pushed back to 2017? That’s what Ali Arikan is claiming on Twitter today. Considering we know next to nothing about it, I find it hard to get too worked up if this proves true. And if it does mean more time between actual Episodes (like the traditional three years,) I’m all for it.
Alumni. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, effects guru Phil Tippett doesn’t totally write off the idea of coming back to Star Wars. Meanwhile, Billy Dee tells Blastr he still hasn’t heard anything about returning.
Rebels. Jedi News has some nice pictures of the LEGO minifigures that have been causing such a fuss.
Oh, Latino Review. Today’s report: Disney sibling Pixar is getting their own Star Wars movie.
At this point, no idea what the size or shape of this film will be and given the long-view storytelling production model that is part of the Pixar brand, this could be a long way off. We can expect it to take place in the middle of a Venn Diagram between Star Wars and A Pixar Movie, and what that means to you depends on your definition of both.
I can see it – and a lot of folks floated this idea back when the Disney sale was announced, and it would be a poetic return to Pixar’s Lucasfilm roots. But, per usual, take this with a big grain of salt.
Lucasfilm officially opened their new ‘Sandcrawler’ building in Singapore this week (complete with some delightful photos) but for our purposes perhaps the most interesting thing to come out of this are Kathleen Kennedy’s comments on how the spin-off films will interact with the sequel trilogy, from the Straits Times, via Toys Revil.
“George was so clear as to how that works. The canon that he created was the Star Wars saga. Right now, [Episode VII] falls within that canon. The spin-off movies, or we may come up with some other way to call those films, they exist within that vast universe that he created,” she says.
“There is no attempt being made to carry characters (from the standalone films) in and out of the saga episodes. Consequently, from the creative standpoint, it’s a roadmap that George made pretty clear,” she adds.
We’re all pretty clear on ‘canon’ in this context, so the real meat here seems to be that the characters anchoring the spin-off films won’t be in the “Episodes.” The question: Does she mean just the new Episodes, or the Episodes that are already in the bag? The rumor mill has pegged characters such as Boba Fett, Han Solo, and Yoda as contenders, but Lucasfilm and Disney themselves have said nothing beyond that the spin-offs would be “origin stories.”
I’m inclined to think she means only the new films – which would probably clear folks like Fett and Yoda – but it’s certainly open for interpretation. And a formal name for the spin-offs would be nice as well. Star Wars Origins? (via)