Iron Man director Jon Favreau will be presenting George Lucas with the Gene Siskel Film Center Visionary Award for Innovation in Filmmaking this weekend… In addition to being handpicked by George for an interview. So the Chicago Tribune caught up with the younger filmmaker. (via)
- Elephant in the room: MTV asks The Old Republic team about sex in the GFFA – or rather, in their game.
- Sports. As a Metro Detroiter, I am so sick of the Stanley Cup brouhaha I can’t muster up anything clever for A Star Wars guide to the Stanley Cup Finals. Just please let it end tonight. (Yes, this technically should have gone in the fandom post. Sorry. The Stanley Cup, at least, is news. Trust me on that one.)
- Important questions: How far away is Star Wars gadgetry? Well, we have the Death Star… (Okay, okay, it’s just an article on the science exhibit.)
- No, the other one. If you’ve ever have the pleasure of Google Newsing ‘George Lucas’ on a regular basis, as I have not being doing all-too-infrequently lately, eventually you’ll run into the one who doesn’t run a media juggernaught. That other George Lucas has now been appointed the next Archbishop of Omaha, Nebraska. (via)
- Politics: It’s pretty impossible to miss that we here in the U.S. inaugurated our 44th President yesterday, and just like with the campaign, Star Wars references have been popping up. TFN has collected some news reports, while StarWars.com found an Obama action figure battling Darth Vader and Barack Obacca.
- Food: Another day, another Star Wars cake at Great White Snark… But this one does bring a new level of absurdity by incorporating mini-golf.
- Kids: It takes more than a Star Wars cake to make a kid-pleasing Star Wars party, so here are some ideas from Make and Takes. (via)
Santa Maul refuses to call Star Wars sports attire “the greatest Christmas present in the universe,” but he is willing to surrender some mean praise for this collection of hooligan-wear. He does not doubt that this gift may please any booze-soaked Fett-loving frat boys that one may be required to socialize with.
Santa Maul himself is eagerly awaiting a licensed collection of Sith tuxedos.
- LucasArts: The layoffs earlier this month also took out key members of the team for The Force Unleashed. (via)
- Politics: George is talking up Barak Obama again! While on Capitol Hill the other day, he said it’s “reasonably obvious” that the presidential candidate would be a Jedi.
- Sports: A filly named Shmi Skywalker? Why not?
- People: Kenny Baker recovering after last month’s health scare.
- Lucasfilm: Chief technical officer Richard Kerris is one of Variety’s Ten Innovators to Watch. (Check the second link for videos.)
- History: Opinion L.A. considers who killed Ben Kenobi?
- Politics: Just in case you’re not sick enough of this election, there’s now The Empire Strikes Barack.
- Sports: “Golf is the ultimate game when it comes to the Jedi teachings.” Adventure, excitement, a Jedi craves not these things…
No, it’s not just you, John.
Vivek Narain assigns Star Wars characters to football players. Knowing nothing about football except that the Lions will always suck, I leave the qualitative judgments to you. Nice photoshopping on the Fett dude, though.
Thus endth the yearly football post.
Fans of our GenCon neighbors the Colts predict the football season by comparing the teams to Star Wars characters. I only know enough to laugh at their choice for Detroit.