(Yes, the first bit is old. Stick around.) I’m kind of ashamed to admit it and I know it’ll probably be only so-so, but I will totally go see this movie. What can I say… Obvious and repetitive rum cracks aside, I do love me some Barbossa, and Ian McShane ain’t too shabby, either.
December 13th, 2010 by Dunc · 4 Comments
November 10th, 2009 by Dunc · 1 Comment
Anything you can do to draw attention to your mouth is good. Clueless director Amy Heckerling is making a vampire romantic comedy. I can’t believe they found a way to actually might make me kind want to see a vampire movie. (No, Alicia Silverstone is not involved – Krysten Ritter is – but I am not one to resist a cheap Photoshop gag.) In related news Saturday Night Live’s Twilight spoof has been burning up the internet.
Mumble mumble fourth. The Los Angeles Times’ Geoff Boucher looks at the difficulty of making upcoming films for several different franchises: Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, X-Men and Pirates of the Caribbean. On that note, io9 quotes the relevant parts of a /Film podcast where X2 screenwriter Michael Dougherty describes what X3 might have been.
Shocking! ‘Archival footage’ from that cheesy alien abduction movie actually fake. People, did we learn nothing from Blair Witch?
→ 1 CommentFiled: film
Tagged: alice in wonderland · avatar · james cameron · lord of the rings · potc · snl · spoofs · star trek · superheroes · the hobbit · tim burton · vampires · x-men
November 8th, 2009 by Dunc · No Comments
Wow. A new trend?
→ No CommentsFiled: film
Tagged: a new hope · back to the future · family guy · ghostbusters · muppets · music · potc · supercuts · the simpsons · video
September 18th, 2009 by Dunc · 2 Comments
Pirates 4 to go steampunk? Disney gave Johnny Depp a (anti?) hero’s welcome at D23 last week and announced the film’s name – On Stranger Tides – but the most interesting thing I’ve heard in connection with the movie is a rumor that the villian may be cribbing from Captain Nemo. On the one hand that could be kind of cool. On the other hand… It’s Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Not sick of steampunk yet? If there’s any truth to this, you will be.
- Just like old times. J.J. Abrams and Roberto Orci hint that the next Star Trek movie will deal with “modern-day issues.”
- It’s never too soon for a reboot! Or a prequel. Yes, X-Men: First Class may be next on the Marvel X-Movie slate. Of course, the Fantastic Four are actually getting a reboot, nevermind that they just made two movies. Nobody runs your iconic properties into the ground like Hollywood!
- Twilight. New Moon actually has enough of a plot for it to be given away entirely in the trailer? Kristen Stewart actually attempts to act? Dakota Fanning is in it! Wow, my standards are low for this one…
- Randomly. Nostalgia Chick takes on Armageddon.
September 4th, 2009 by Dunc · 1 Comment
A century in five minutes!
→ 1 CommentFiled: film
Tagged: a new hope · back to the future · ilm · jurassic park · potc · retro · superheroes · terminator · tron · video · visual effects · weta · wizard of oz · young indy
October 15th, 2008 by Dunc · 4 Comments
Go boldly to the newstand: Star Trek is the cover story for the new Entertainment Weekly. The cover promises new photos and a set visit, but if you’re dying to see something, there are already a few images out and about the web. In any case, it shouldn’t be a long wait: We’ll see the story and images up at ew.com soon enough.
Bond joins the party: In other news, the first full trailer for Trek is set to be attached to Quantum of Solace.
- Adaptions: Ridley Scott is planning a return to sci-fi with Joe Haldeman’s The Forever War; io9 found some comments from Haldeman and suggestions for filming (or not) his back catalog.
- Pirates payday just a rumor? Writer Terry Rossio says that Johnny Depp isn’t getting $50+ million for a fourth POTC film. Cinema Blend has doubts. Whatever, man.
- Don Cheadle in for Iron Man 2: Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard as sidekick (and eventual War Machine) Jim Rhodes.
- For adults! Like me! The Jim Henson Co. has picked up a “comedic film noir murder mystery” script called The Happytime Murders. It sounds a little like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but I’m a total sucker for muppets so I’ll probably end up seeing it anyway.
October 7th, 2008 by Dunc · No Comments
Never met a dead horse he couldn’t beat: Harrison Ford tells the Los Angeles Times that George Lucas is considering a fifth Indiana Jones film. Of course he is.
But for those who might wonder about those fleeting non-franchise projects, Red Tails does now have a director, Anthony Hemingway.
- That parrot is definitely deceased: Johnny Depp is reportedly getting $56 million for a fourth Pirates Of The Caribbean film. Fifty. Six. (Or is it four?) Million.
- The no-brainer: Christopher Nolan to make third Batman film, start production in February. Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman will return. Nothing sarcastic here, move along.
- Okay, so it’s a prequel. Or something: Guillermo del Toro is directing The Hobbit, if you haven’t heard. But he also wants to do a Frankenstein movie. Hopefully he doesn’t pick up any of Peter Jackson’s King Kong mojo while he’s down in New Zealand.
→ No CommentsFiled: film
Tagged: batman · george lucas · guillermo del toro · harrison ford · indiana jones · indy v · johnny depp · potc · red tails · the hobbit
June 20th, 2008 by Dunc · 3 Comments
We’ve featured at least one of these before (not The Princess Bride) but who cares? It’s a bunch of geek classic movies (mostly) with lightsabers added. Go forth and enjoy. (via)
→ 3 CommentsFiled: film · star wars
Tagged: 300 · highlander · lightsabers · lists · lord of the rings · mashups · potc · raiders of the lost ark · the princess bride · video
May 23rd, 2008 by SirRogue · No Comments
But fired men do.
Los Angeles Magazine has a great feature on a former Jack Sparrow’s account of working at Disneyland. It’s a really interesting read, addressing everything from the audition process, to Disney “cleaning up” Jack Sparrow, to the fabled Magic Kingdom fascism towards their employees. Welcome to the regime-iest place on Earth!
September 17th, 2007 by Dunc · 1 Comment
Jim Broadbent reveals that he’ll play Professor Slughorn in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. He’s everywhere! (He also talks about his Indiana Jones role at the link.) In other casting news, looks like Zoe Saldana will be playing Uhura in JJ Abrams’ Star Trek.
In other news…
- First Prince Caspian poster. Fangirls, meet your new girly-man squee magnet. (Sorry, Orlando.)
- Heath Ledger talks about being the Joker. (Link links to video.)
- The Last Starfighter: The Musical. …What? Why? Were the rights cheap?
- Geoffrey Rush talks Pirates 4. Nothing really solid, but I am just taking this opportunity to say I would so watch a Barbossa movie.
- Shia LeBouf as Y: The Last Man’s Yorick?
- Viggo Mortsensen in The Hobbit? Well, someone has to bring the pretty, I suppose.