The . The shuttle is carrying the Discovery launched right on time this morning Return of the Jedi lightsaber, and George Lucas himself was in attendance at the launch. For the NASA geeks, the AP has plenty of details.
In a interesting sidebar, this mission also marks the first time that there are
two women commanding spacecraft at the same time.
Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber heading to space. For real!
UPDATE: Expect plenty of coverage over at the
A NASA study says that ‘Earth-like conditions’ on Mars could be achieved through the use of space mirrors. The concept makes me nervous for some reason. Oh, here it is:
Woida points out another potential problem. If not carefully designed, the mirrors could focus harmful high-frequency radiation like gamma rays onto the surface.
Here’s some of what’s been going on in the outside world.
Also on the official site, Revenge of the Sith won two DVD awards. November 2006 Comics.
Speaking of comics, don’t bother looking for
in stores. It was supposed to come out today (the Legacy #3 schedule even said so until this morning) but it’s… not. Word on the boards is that last week’s books didn’t ship either. (I don’t know: I only buy Legacy.) Dark Horse isn’t the only one: Something is rotten in the comics industry.
“May the force be with you” tops online quote poll. And I don’t think TFN linked the poll, which means it might actually have won fair and square. Cool.
Some new The set includes a “Mystral” Shadow Guard, but unless they came with booze and/or naked men, I don’t think any of us noticed. Also, it seems they’re Star Wars miniatures debuted at GenCon. restarting the RPG.
Colleen Doran witnesses
The Fan From Hell. I think we’ve found one that beats the Woodtick, folks.
Those damn Harry Potter plagiarists made it all the way up the fannish blog chain to
John Scalzi. Twice.
Other stuff I would have blogged:
- NASA has misplaced the original moon landing tapes. Our tax dollars at work!
- Daniel Radcliffe is down with Harry Potter dying.
- Crazy mofo has “temporary” Wolverine piercing. My hand hurts just looking at it.
- Hayden Christensen making some movie.
- Things writers have no control over. (Add to the list: Killing Chewbacca.)
- The Top 8 Shows For SF Myth Busters.
- 11 Things in Fantasy/That I Don’t Promise Not to Use (or Keep Using) in My Writing and 6 More Things I Could do Without in Fantastic Literature & I don’t plan to use except to make fun of.
This entry was posted in
expanded universe, fandom, fiction, film, gaming, people, space & science, star wars and tagged awards, comics, damn harry potter plagiarists, dark horse, dvds, hayden christensen, legacy, miniatures, nasa, quotes, revenge of the sith, rpgs, writing on . August 15, 2006