August 17th, 2008 by Paula · No Comments
It’s Sunday morning and we’re starting the Post-Con Depression Kick-Off Breakfast. Once again, it appears we were foiled by actually having fun (and those annoyingly addictive Olympics) and prevented from blogging. Since clean-up is about to begin, I thought I’d capture the remaining quotes from the weekend that were taped on to the wood-paneled wall with painter’s tape. (We won’t cause any duct tape damage this year!) We might have some good quotes from PCD Breakfast, but we’ll be too depressed to capture them.
- Australia is a sexy man. – Several women in Dave’s bed
- A YOW? We could make it a Yao Ming by adding soy sauce – James
- That’s not a head. That’s a boob. – Beth
- A YOW and an Anakin Fireball: together they make beautiful music. - Liz double-fists it
- An Ewok with a spear is 2 inches taller than Trina. – Trina’s own response to a Telephone Pictionary drawing
- A snowflake makes me happy. – Telephone Pictionary
- Warooh! Oh s**t! It’s a moon! – Telephone Pictionary illustration of Chewie
- It is really annoying when Tribbles laugh at you. – Telephone Pictionary
- I need a naked man! – Steph&
- Padme’, let’s get busy. I’m about to be evil. – Telephone Pictionary
- Let’s make out. Oh, look! A TIE fighter! – Telephone Pictionary
- I can really see you in the design. And by “you,” I mean “his a**.” – Caitlin
- I was signed off by the person that usurped my rightful place in Dave’s bed. – Liz
- Your hair is on the pineapple behind the bar. – Vic
- I have to go rescue my hair from the pineapple. – Caitlin
- Someone absconded with Liz’s salty snacks. – Liz
- I’m the Space Pope: LOL, WTF and bless you my child. – Liz
- The part of the Rodian will be played by Ben Stiller. – Tom, describing Jeff’s RPG blaster skills
- My slash does not write itself. – The Emperor
- Paula and I both really like Menage. — Somewhere back in Tucson, Ray just went “oooh.” – Kelly
- Oh my gawd. It’s all about the boots and kilts. – Beth
- I can eat a whole plate of bacon. – The Olympics announcer commenting on Miss Bacon’s win
- Sometimes we are the Asian porn site you’re looking for. – Nancy
- Elizabeth: Did you say “burning crotch”? Yav: No! Barty Crouch!
- Faster! More intense! – All of Club Jade watching Michael Phelps score his 8th Olympic gold medal
- Would this be easier if I was lying down? – Ruby
Filed: club jade
August 16th, 2008 by eliz · 2 Comments
As part of the festivities of JadeCon 2008, a new competition was created based on the popular Project Runway series on Bravo. As long time followers of Club Jade know, our members (or at least most of us) have held a special place in their hearts for the 12” vinyl collectible dolls, known lovingly as “The Boyz”. Our Jedi and Sith have traveled around the Earth with our members and sported many, many different looks over the years.
Love of the Boyz, a lack of off-the-rack clothing for them, and a TV show have lead to Club Jade Project Runway. There are three challenges to determine the winner with judging based on creativity, presentation, and consistency with the theme. In addition, comments on this post will be taken into consideration by the judges as well for the overall winner!
Lots of lovely pictures of our models during the competition are available here.
Challenge One: Issued at Games Night on Thursday, our designers were told by our own Heidi to design an outfit for the boyz to wear on a “Date with a Diva” based on the materials provided to their team. Designs were due at the picnic on Friday.
- Team Quilt won the first overall competition with their impressive design and workmanship.
- Team We’re Keeping Our Day Jobs won for Achievement in Haberdashery.
- Team We Did What? won for Best Presentation.
- Team Sprockets won for Achievement in Pleating and Stitching.
- Team Have Gunn Will Travail won for Achievement in Tight Pants and Sleeves.
- Team Bitca won the Fredericks of Hollywood Award.
- Team My Master Made Me Do This won the Special Award for Utilizing Time During a Gaming Session and Special Achievement for Color Coordination.
So far the judges are very impressed with all the entries and looked forward to seeing the results of the Second Challenge. Announced at the end of the first round judging, the second challenge was to fabricate new Jedi Robes/uniforms for the Boyz using duct tape. The tape was provided to the team members in a variety of colors.
The results were again dazzling! Challenge Two:
Challenge Three was assigned late last night and the teams raced and fought each other for coveted fabrics. The teams were challenged to attire their Boyz for a mission to a planet which was chosen at random. The audience will be charged with determining which planet the Boyz are heading off to next and their success will influence the judge’s decisions.
If you have made it this far – please review our winners and feel free to comment! Your comments will be taken into consideration for the Overall Project Runway winner for JadeCon 2008!
We’ll post the final results tomorrow for everyone following along at home.
Filed: conventions · fandom
Tagged: boyz · jadecon · project runway
August 15th, 2008 by Dunc · 11 Comments
We haven’t had much time to discuss it yet, but none of us seemed particularly impressed last night. My personal take: It’s far too long, and adds very little to the (real) movie experience. If you’re absolutely dying for more prequel, you might get more out of it, but as someone mainly apathetic to the whole era (and bridge stories in general) my impression was “Meh.” I’m glad I got to see it with Jaders, but it’s not something I would recommend to anyone without a basic working knowledge for the prequel EU.
But: Stinky is adorable.
Jaders, (I know you’re reading this in the suite!) leave your reviews/thoughts in the comments!
Filed: conventions · review · the clone wars
August 15th, 2008 by Paula · 1 Comment
As is our tradition, Club Jade often comes up with silly profound quotes that are recorded for posterity. And also, as per tradition, we rarely explain the context but, rather, let them stand on their own:
- I love this sport. What is it? – Luci re men’s synchronized diving
- I’m famous in Germany, like David Hasselhoff – Caitlin
- Let’s face it, they swim upstream but they don’t spawn – The Emperor, re Chinese athletes
- Team USA! Let’s try sucking less! – Caitlin
- They’re smiling at each other just a little too much – Helen
- With enough arrows, you can convince the world these guys are straight – The Emperor
- It was US versus Sweden in beach volleyball. We kicked their snowy white asses – Dunc recaps
- I’ll be back. Don’t do anything interesting – Dunc
- Not far. Stairs not far. – Caitlin
- I’m sure if you Google “wax David Hasslehoff” you’ll find it. – Caitlin continues hassling the Hoff
- Oh Johnny Weir, what would we do without you? – Liz
- The world would be a less sparkly place – Caitlin
- Johnny Weir is a vampire! – Four people at once
- The alabaster skin, the sparkle, the fashion sense…it all makes sense! – Liz
- Does anyone have an issues with butt crack on vinyl? – Diane randomly bursts out in the middle of the Emperor’s writing seminar
August 15th, 2008 by Paula · No Comments
We’ve been having so much fun at JadeCon ’08 that we just haven’t even gone near the nifty computer provided to the suite by the hotel. (And an iPod. The Hyatt has gone high-tech.)
Games Night was a blast. As usual, the most simple game got the most participation. It was a cross between Pictionary and The Operator Game. Hard to explain, but tons of fun.
We’ve also been quite obsessed with the Olympics; watching the “pretty boys fall down.” Cheering for the countries we feel aren’t getting enough cheerleading support. Yelling on Michael Phelps. (Like he needs our help.) Mocking others.
Those who were capable of staying up late went to see Clone Wars at midnight at the mall across the street. I haven’t heard their reviews, as yet. Everyone in CJ knows I’m entirely incapable of staying up late, so no reviews from me!
Project Runway (Vinyl Version) has begun with the first challenge. Spotted so far is a zebra pattern pimp hat, a leopard skin tuxedo and other outfits that we can’t describe on this page because it’s PG. (Parental Guidance PG; not Her Wonderfulness PG.)
We’re also enjoying the presence of Rox’s working dog Willow who has been put to more work feeding the dog cravings of the CJ dog lovers. She is rarely without two people petting her and rubbing her belly. I hope Rox doesn’t actually need her, at some point.
We’re about to head out to the Sith Ascension Picnic. Games and the trials of the CJ padawans will commence.
We’ll catch up on the fandom happenings next week. Those CJers not with us, feel free to leave us messages here. We’ll pass them along.
August 14th, 2008 by Dunc · No Comments
Talk of JadeCon: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been pushed back from November to July 2009. Rach pretty much summed it up. (See headline.)
Yes, yes, we’re still going to The Clone Wars.
Tagged: half-blood prince · harry potter · jadecon
August 13th, 2008 by Dunc · 7 Comments
In what is either the best or worst timing ever, Club Jade will be gathering for our first JadeCon since 2006 starting in the morning. So, sorry to disappoint, but (serious) blogging may or may not resume until Thursday. Or maybe Monday. Tuesday? (I’ll try – but bet on not – history agrees.) In the meantime, keep an eye on our pals at StarWars.com, TFN, EUC, and Lightsabre for actual news.
Or you can look at this:
I blame Yav.
Tagged: jadecon · photoshoppery
August 15th, 2006 by Dunc · 1 Comment
- Don’t light sparklers in a gazebo when it’s raining.
- Don’t duct-tape decorations to the suite walls.
- Don’t tell the Darksiders you’re hungry.
- Don’t put marzipan in Jello.
- Do not, under any circumstances, substitute tequila for vodka.
- No matter how much alcohol you’ve had, never let Yav duct tape a padawan braid to your hair.
- When meeting a fellow Jader for the first time, you can just tell.
- When Jessa asks for ice, darn it, you shlep the ice. (Karrdes only.)
- If you see a CJer doing something that you know cannot possibly turn out well… Get a camera.
- What happens at JadeCon, stays at JadeCon. Unless Dunc blogs it.
- Invoke the name.
- It really sucks putting your hands down Hayden’s shirt.
- It’s always those damn Harry Potter plagiarists’ fault.
Tagged: alcohol · damn harry potter plagiarists · hayden christensen · jadecon
August 15th, 2006 by Kelly · Comments Off
A bunch of us stayed until Monday, but it was a hearty group of nine: Aaron, Mike, Kelly, Denise, Sean, Cindi, Shane, Brian, and Trace who were the last JadeConners to walk out the doors of the Hyatt at 3 pm EDT on Monday.
August 13th, 2006 by ImperialGirl · Comments Off
I really don’t want to go back to work. But I am not hung over. Well, I have con hangover. Close enough.
New quote: “I can’t wait for the teen years. I want my kids to hide in their rooms and never come out.” (Kelly, Mother of the Year)
I actually was good at GenCon. It was the auction what done me in. I am the proud owner of a Caitlin Shindler original Princess Leia gown. And it is pretty but it takes up way, way, way too much space in my suitcase.
I wish JadeCon were more often. But I think the lack of sleep would kill me. But it might be worth it.