Harrison Ford continues his rounds promoting The Force Awakens Blu-ray with a stop on Jimmy Kimmel Live, talking about the death of Han Solo, the return of Indiana Jones, and hanging out with MC Hammer.
He also stopped by The Ellen DeGeneres Show with advice for the new Han Solo…
Disney has announced that Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford will be making a fifth Indiana Jones film for a July 19, 2019 release. Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will again produce.
The last Indy film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, came out in 2008. Rumors of a fifth installment have been rumbling since Disney and Paramount announced in 2013 they’d come to deal on rights to the franchise following the former’s 2012 purchase of Lucasfilm.
While promoting his new film Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks, director Steven Spielberg mentioned his hope to work with Harrison Ford on a fifth Indiana Jones film. In a chat with Yahoo Movies, Spielberg mentions his collaborations with Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks:
“We’ve gotta figure this out because now, Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies… Now I’ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison, [so] it’ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom. … I’ve got to make another one with Tom, that’ll be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!”
At this point, however, there’s not a lot of progress yet on Indiana Jones 5. According to Cinema Blend, there’s still not past the scripting stage.
Kathleen Kennedy says a new Indiana Jones movie is in the cards… One day. “When it will happen, I’m not quite sure,” she told Vanity Fair. “We haven’t started working on a script yet, but we are talking about it.”
Rumor: Disney wants Chris Pratt for Indiana Jones? Well, if they decide to go the James Bond route with the franchise, Pratt would be better than the previously rumored Bradley Cooper, but it’s hard to imagine anyone stepping into Harrison Ford’s boots. In any case, this isn’t even the craziest recasting rumor floating around today, believe it or not.
Rumor: Disney’s Indiana Jones stunt show closing to make room for more Star Wars. Construction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is apparently expected to begin in 2015. They’re also closing the American Idol Experience (there was a American Idol Experience? Gag.) to make room for this same project. An announcement is expected “in the coming weeks/months.”
The Empire Strikes Back has been voted greatest movie of all time in a new poll from Empire magazine. The original Star Wars clocks in at #6, Return of the Jedi is #120 and Revenge of the Sith is #224.
Last time they did the poll, in 2008, Empire came in third, behind The Godfather and Raiders of the Lost Ark. This time, The Godfather slips to #2 and Raiders fell from #2 to #9.
Harrison Ford had an AMA on Reddit this afternoon as part of the promotion for the Showtime documentary Years of Living Dangerously. This was more brief and less focused on Star Wars (and guacamole) than Mark Hamill’s a few months back, but Ford did answer several Star Wars and Indiana Jones questions.
He was gracious:
Someone said thank you for being a part of so many childhood films: Well, thank you. I really appreciate that. It’s a privilege to be able to be involved with people as talented as the people I’ve had the luck to work with, and it’s just been a great experience for me, and I’m glad that so many of the films I’ve had the luck to do were films that could be enjoyed by families together.
But he doesn’t care who shot first. No, really:
I don’t know and I don’t care.
As ‘scoops’ go, this seems pretty much a simple conclusion to draw, but for what it’s worth, Latino Review is saying that the Indiana Jones franchise will indeed take a page from James Bond and recast Dr. Jones, as was theorized back in December when the rights issue was settled.
LR is saying while that Harrison Ford may do one more film as the hero, if things don’t move forward by a certain date, they may go forward with a new trilogy – and a new actor – instead.
Bradley Cooper supposedly tops that Lucasfilm wish list. (That’s not a guarantee: I’m sure he’s on a lot of lists these days.) And on the writing end, The Walking Dead’s Frank Darabont – who wrote for the Young Indy series and an early version of Crystal Skull – may have pitched an idea.
UPDATE #1: The folks at Slashfilm say a source tells them that this isn’t true – at least not at the moment.
UPDATE #2: And Frank Marshall weighs in:
And here’s another from Den of Geek this morning, which at the very least seems/feels slightly more probable than the last one. They report that there’s been a clampdown on the Pinewood prop shop, but that the modelmakers are working on a Millennium Falcon (as frequently reported and possibly proved) and lightsaber hilts. The modelmakers also supposedly have seven-year contracts covering the new trilogy and three spin-offs.
They’re also reporting that the planning office has a listing for an Indiana Jones 5, which wouldn’t be all that surprising giving Disney and Paramount’s announcement regarding the franchise in December.