We’ve had a couple of Darth Vader robberies in recent months, but now one enterprising criminal is aiming a little higher for his Dark Side association: The “Palpatine Perp” has robbed two banks in downtown Denver. When will the madness end? And how come no one ever does this wearing Transformers masks?
Darth Vader is loose in Metro Detroit! A not-too-bright criminal put on a Darth Vader mask to rob a Get & Go store in Ferndale on Monday. The police have him on video, though – before he put the mask on.
At least the cops have a sense of humor about it:
“I guess he didn’t have a light saber with him,” said Ferndale Police Lt. William Wilson. “When he walked up to the male clerk he pulled out a butcher knife and demanded money.”
(In other news, if you’re a law-abiding Star Wars fan in the area, some folks are trying to relaunch the local FanForce, R2-Detroit, with a meeting at the Oakland Mall Borders on Saturday.)
The Galactic Empire categorically and emphatically denies Lord Vader’s involvement in the alleged robbery and quite frankly, we find these allegations offensive. Several reliable witnesses can confirm that at the time of the robbery, Darth Vader was busy brutally murdering a Jedi cell in a galaxy far, far away.
They go on to use “Darth Vader’s’ fashion choices as proof. However, Darth Vader claims he is at Comic-Con. What is the real story? Stay tuned…
UPDATE: Chad also denys.
Do you take this fan… Two Star Wars weddings made it on the internet this week! The first, in the UK, featuring a full party of costumed guests. The second, in the Philippines, features a stormtrooper-inspired gown, at right… And lightsabers. Naturally.
People: Samuel L. Jackson received the American Cinematheque award earlier this week, along praise from George Lucas, Denzel Washington and Justin Timberlake .
Even Artoo and Threepio showed up!
- Har har har: The Los Angeles Times has a bailout plan for Star Wars. My only question is, does George have a private jet?
- Books: Looking for some light reading? Lawrence Lessig’s Remix: Making Art and Culture Thrive in the Hybrid Economy touches at least a little on Star Wars copyright issues, according to The Mercury News review. In any case, it looks like a must-read for anyone with copyright concerns.
- Crime: Chewbacca Calvin Johnson of Georgia is racking up quite a criminal record. (Thanks, Paula.)
- Travel: Wired takes a look at geek hotels, starting with the Sidi Driss and continuing with some places a little closer to home.
- The Brits really love them some Star Wars wedding: The GFFA-themed marriage ceremony of Bramwell Brightey and Tamsyn Lofts showed up in both The Guardian and The Sun today.
- Could Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull beat Revenge of the Sith at the box office? That’s the magic of inflation!
- No jail time for drunken Vader attacker. Shocking!
- The Force Unleashed is “greatest Star Wars story that we’ve ever told in a video game,” says LucasArts’ Cameron Suey. Better than Masters of Teräs Käsi? That’s unpossible!
- Fandom: Maryland kids learn lightsaber moves, provide adorable picture.
- People: Harrison Ford talks about Star Wars, Han Solo to USA Today.
- Science: Tatooine for real?
- Oddities: How can you resist a line like “Darth Vader was a Lansing Community College student who was later charged with inciting a riot?”
- Video: Pennsylvania teachers show students how to handle state tests with PSSA Wars.
- Crime: Missouri police are looking for a man who commited armed robbery “wearing a mask that was similar to a character from Star Wars.” No word on which character.
- Gaming: You’re dying to know about The Force Unleashed Wii controls, right?
- In what is, believe it or not, the least disturbing story of the entry, a man named Landocalrissan Butler led police on a high-speed car chase in Poughkeepsie on Thursday. (via)
- Arizona man who planned Super Bowl shooting disdained earlier target as being too near a hive of “scum and villainy.”
- Arson suspect used online handle of Jediknight12345 to brag about burning down a church and attached school. Jedi Knighting: UR DOIN IT WRONG.