March 25th, 2012 by Dunc · No Comments
August 24th, 2011 by Dunc · 2 Comments
August 11th, 2011 by Dunc · 5 Comments
The winners of our Revlon Carbonite nail polish giveaway have been chosen, but if you didn’t win, the polish display has been spotted in drugstores around the country. One of the people who found it was Rach, a Jader who just happens to own a life-size Han in Carbonite replica. She took some pics of her Han with the polish:
Here’s what Rach had to say: “Does it match? Well… kinda. Just like the comparisons to Graphite it’s just a wee bit too gold.”
In true dedication, Rach painted a crack on her Han’s thumb with the polish: “It blends from a distance but up close you can tell it’s been painted.”
We’re not sure if this polish is a limited edition* yet, so be aware it will be on a standalone display somewhere near the makeup. (I found mine on a Meijer endcap.)
HUGE thanks to Rach for the pics, and happy hunting, everyone!
* The bottle says ‘New Shade,’ but so did a previous Chanel dupe which don’t seem to have made the permanent collection.
August 1st, 2011 by Dunc · 34 Comments
So I have another obsession: Nail polish. I’ve kept it off the blog because, well, it’s not usually relevant. Until now… Sort of. See, Revlon has a new shade called Carbonite.
A bit of background: For the past few seasons, Revlon has been releasing ‘dupes’ – shades that are near matches – of the very expensive Chanel polishes. Carbonite resembles Graphite, which retails for $25. I found the Revlon for $3.99. Is it any wonder the dupes fly off the shelves?
But anyway… Since I found the polish for so cheap, I picked up a couple of extras, and I’m going to give them away to you. All you need to do is comment and tell me which Star Wars character you would like to see frozen in carbonite. (Nicely.) Two winners will be picked via a random number draw, and I’ll mail each a bottle of Revlon Carbonite — and maybe another polish or two.
If playing the numbers isn’t your game, or you have deep-grounded moral objections to freezing fictional people in liquid metal, Revlon Carbonite may be on your store shelves now.
Comments will be closed Sunday, August 7, and the winners will be notified on Monday.
January 11th, 2011 by Dunc · 2 Comments
Han Solo in Firefly? It’s true! There is proof! Amy spots a Han in Carbonite figure in several episodes. Can you find the rest? Break out the DVDs!
Video. Harry Shum Jr. (of Glee) made a fanfilm. Or something. It has lightsabers, anyway.
Hmm… Take a Star Wars detox? I can’t deny it has some temptations. Think of all the Law and Order reruns we could watch!
May 13th, 2010 by Dunc · 9 Comments
May is still showering, but in the land of Hallmark, spring means only one thing: The 2010 Dreambook is out. There are several Star Wars selections: One set of Yoda and Captain Rex (page 56) and several Empire Strikes Back-themed ornaments (pages 60-61) that you can check out below the cut. Luke in flight gear, a snowspeeder, and Vader chatting with holo Palpy are full size, while the mini set is Boba Fett and Han in Carbonite. (more…)
→ 9 CommentsFiled: the clone wars
Tagged: boba fett · carbonite · darth vader · empire strikes back · hallmark · han solo · luke skywalker · merchandise · palpatine · vehicles
March 25th, 2009 by Dunc · 12 Comments
- OMG PONIES! Mari Kasurinen has added three new Star Wars figures to her custom My Little Pony gallery: A farmboy Luke, slave Leia, and Han in carbonite.
- Technology: An impressive Artoo casemod made with a trash can and a mere $120 in additional parts.
- Crafts: The Darth Vader hula girl. I always knew he had it in him.
- The blogside: Bryan Young defends Jar Jar Binks over at Den of Geek. (via)
→ 12 CommentsFiled: fandom
Tagged: artoo · carbonite · casemod · darth vader · fanmade · han solo · jar jar · leia organa · luke skywalker · my little ponies · prequel trilogy
February 24th, 2009 by Dunc · 6 Comments
On the left, your standard Disney/Star Wars mashup to accompany Star Wars Weekends. On the right, Minnie Mouse in the slave Leia getup. WHY DISNEY WHY? Also, now I want to know who Disney would cast as Jabba. The caterpillar?
December 3rd, 2008 by Dunc · 1 Comment
You know things are tough when… A gift for the geek that has everything – a battle-scarred Hasbro Millennium Falcon – amazingly got no bids on eBay. Well, maybe not that amazingly, but $300 doesn’t seem that bad a price considering it’ll run you only about half that brand new. (via)
- TV: Jon Stewart is very excited about a Threepio bobblehead on Monday’s The Daily Show. I don’t have the heart to tell him that bobbleheads are kind of lame.
- Fanmade: Finally, a Han in Carbonite USB drive! Alas, it was already sold out last week.
- Lists: I think the green skin might have less to do with their popularity than the trend of not wearing very many clothes.
August 27th, 2008 by Dunc · 2 Comments
- Food: Han in Carbonite… The cake! Is that icing nontoxic? (via)
- The blogside: SF Signal’s JP Frantz claims that Star Wars needs to take a break to save the future of the franchise, and I’m not sure I entirely disagree… Meanwhile, Time’s Matt Selman calls for an end to easy Star Wars parodies.
- Collecting: Pete Vilmur looks at saving ticket stubs.
- Space: The European Space Agency takes inspiration from Star Wars for a new spacecraft. It looks like it would fit right in with the Rebel fleet! (via)
- Lists: The prequel trilogy gets a spot on io9′s worst fake accents of science fiction; Return of the Jedi is one of Cracked’s six most depressing happy endings.
- Random: Going through life with the last name of Yoda.
→ 2 CommentsFiled: fandom · space & science · star wars
Tagged: cakes · carbonite · collecting · food · lists · prequel trilogy · return of the jedi · the blogside · yoda