February 11th, 2012 by jawajames · 8 Comments
With The Phantom Menace 3D out this weekend, Entertainment Weekly checked in with the man behind Jar Jar Binks, Ahmed Best, who gave his thoughts on the Gungan’s diminished role in Episode III. Best also mentioned a scene cut filmed but cut from the finished version of Revenge of the Sith where Supreme Chancellor Palpatine takes a walk with Representative Binks:
“And Palpatine kind of thanks Jar Jar for putting him in power. It’s a really interesting scene, and it shows the evolution of Jar Jar from this fun-loving kid’s character into this manipulated politician. And it was an interesting arc for the character that I thought could have been explored, because the scene is really dark. But it just didn’t fit in the movie, which I understand. But yeah, George’s take on it is Jar Jar is now just a politician.”
Filed: film · star wars
Tagged: ahmed best · deleted scenes · jar jar · revenge of the sith
October 5th, 2011 by jawajames · 5 Comments
‘Shadow Warrior’ is a fantastic episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars – while only a half hour long, the story covered so much ground, and really captured the feel of Star Wars. It makes me wish that this storyline was spread out across two episodes, with the first half of the story (the Gungan plot) separate from the capture of Anakin and the prisoner exchange.
Filed: review · the clone wars
Tagged: ahmed best · reviews · tcw: season 4
October 4th, 2009 by Dunc · 24 Comments
As the legion of Star Wars accounts on Twitter grows, it’s getting harder to keep track of. It’s impossible to list everyone, but here are a few accounts that may be of interest.
Please note that although we provide this page as a service to fans to find official accounts and other people they may wish to follow, we do not encourage pestering or harassing celebrities and/or other fans. Please be respectful to the celebrities and each other.
- Carrie Fisher (@CarrieFFisher) Played Princess Leia in the original trilogy.
- Anthony Daniels (@ADaniels3PO) Played C-3PO in all six movies.
- Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) Played Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy.
- Ewan McGregor (@mcgregor_ewan) Played Obi-wan Kenobi in the prequel trilogy.
- Peter Mayhew (@TheWookieeRoars) Played Chewbacca in the original trilogy and ROTS.
- Samuel L. Jackson (@SamuelLJackson) All -around badass; Played Mace Windu in the prequel trilogy.
- Bonnie Piesse (@BonniePiesse) Played Beru Lars in AOTC and ROTS.
- Ahmed Best (@ahmedbest) Played Jar Jar Binks in the prequels.
- Warwick Davis (@WarwickADavis) Played Wicket W. Warrick in Return of the Jedi as well as several characters in The Phantom Menace.
- Ray Park (@PARKYBOY74) Played Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace.
- Richard LeParmentier (@AdmiralMotti) Played Admiral Motti in A New Hope.
- Dave Filoni (@dave_filoni) Supervising director of The Clone Wars.
- Seth Green (@sethgreen) Robot Chicken, upcoming comedy series.
- Phil Tippett (@PhilTippett) VFX artist who now heads Tippet Studio; Did stop motion effects for ANH and ESB.
- Matthew Wood (@matthewood) Skywalker Sound; Voice of General Grievous in Revenge of the Sith and The Clone Wars.
- Matt Lanter (@MattLanter) Voice of Anakin Skywalker in The Clone Wars
- James Arnold Taylor (@JATactor) Voice of Obi-Wan in The Clone Wars
- Catherine Taber (@cattaber) Voice of Padme Amidala in The Clone Wars
- Sam Witwer (@SamWitwer) Voice of Darth Maul on The Clone Wars, Galen Marek/Starkiller in The Force Unleashed.
- Dee Bradley Baker (@deebradleybaker) Voice of The Clone Wars clonetroopers.
- Phil LaMarr (@phillamarr) Voice of The Clone Wars’ Kit Fisto.
- Meredith Salenger (@MeredthSalenger) voiced Barriss Offee in The Clone Wars.
- Simon Pegg (@simonpegg) Voice of Dengar in The Clone Wars. Director/Actor, Shaun of the Dead, Scottie in Star Trek prequel/reboot.
- Greg Proops (@GregProops) Voice of Beed Annodue in The Phantom Menace.
- Peter Serafinowicz (@serafinowicz) Voice of Darth Maul in The Phantom Menace.
Lucasfilm and licensees
Other official types
- Mary Franklin (@MaryLFL) Sr. Event Lead for Lucasfilm, queen of all she surveys.
- Jennifer Heddle (@jenheddle) Senior Editor (fiction) at Lucasfilm.
- Pablo Hidalgo (@infinata) Brand Communication Manager for Lucasfilm, author, internet rockstar.
- Leland Chee (@HolocronKeeper) Keeper of the Holocron, Lucas Licensing
- Meagan Finnerty (@MeaganFinnerty) Assistant to Dave Filoni
- Matt Martin (@missingwords) Works for StarWars.com
- Erich Schoeneweiss (@Darth_Duff) Del Rey editor.
- Randy Stradley (@Randy_Stradley) Vice President of Publishing, Dark Horse Comics
- Kevin J. Anderson (@TheKJA) Writer, The Jedi Academy Trilogy
- Haden Blackman (@HadenBlackman) LucasArts / Writer, The Force Unleashed
- Jeremy Barlow (@Jeremy_Barlow) Writer / Dark Horse editor
- Bonnie Burton (@bonniegrrl) Writer, You Can Draw: Star Wars
- Nathan P. Butler (@swfanworks) Writer, ‘Equals and Opposites’ / StarWarsFanWorks.com
- Chris Cassidy (@Yav14) Writer, ‘Precipice’
- Paul Ens (@paulens) Writer, R2-D2: Beneath the Dome, ‘Evasive Action’ webstrips / Owner of Red 5 Comics / Former Director of Lucas Online
- Jason Fry (@jasoncfry) Author, The Essential Atlas
- Helen Keier (@HelenKeier) Author, The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Drew Karpyshyn (@DrewKarpyshyn) Writer, Darth Bane novels.
- Paul S. Kemp (@Paulskemp) Author, Crosscurrent
- John Jackson Miller (@jjmfaraway) Writer, Knights of the Old Republic
- Abel G. Peña (@ThePhilodoxer) Writer, things fanboys love
- J. W. Rinzler (@jwrinzler) Writer, The Making of Star Wars, other nonfiction.
- Joe Schreiber (@joeschreiber1) Author, Death Troopers
- Mike Stackpole (@MikeStackpole) Author, X-Wing series
- Matthew Stover (@MWStover ) Author, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Revenge of the Sith novelization.
- Tom Taylor (@TomTaylorMade) Writer, Invasion comic.
- Dan Wallace (@danwall88) Author, The Essential Atlas
- Sean Williams (@adelaidesean) Author, The Force Unleashed novelizations
- Ryder Windham (@ryderwindham)
Fan sites and the like
- Cleolinda Jones (@cleolinda) Snarker, Movies in 15 Minutes
- Kristen Bell (@IMKristenBell) Actress, Fanboys, Veronica Mars
- Felicia Day (@feliciaday) Actress, Dr. Horrible, The Guild
- Jon Favreau (@Jon_Favreau) Director, Iron Man
- Jaime King (@Jaime_King) Actress, Fanboys, Sin City
- Greg Grunberg (@greggrunberg) Actor, Heroes, Alias
- Naomi Novik (@naominovik) Author, Temeraire series.
- J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) Author, Harry Potter series
- William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) William. Shatner.
- Will Wheaton (@wilw) Actor, internet superstar
- Weird Al Yankovic (@alyankovic) Duh.
Make your own suggestions – or just share your own Twitter credentials – in the comments.
Filed: expanded universe · fandom · people · star wars
Tagged: ahmed best · anthony daniels · carrie fisher · james arnold taylor · licensees · matt lanter · matthew wood · ray park · social networking · starwars.com · voice actors · warwick davis
April 29th, 2009 by Dunc · 2 Comments
StarWars.com continues marching down with Celebration I coverage with the continuation of audio from a panel with creature effects supervisor Nick Dudman. And yes, there was a dance party, err, concert – Ahmed Best hosted the Jar Jar Jam.
Also, the Stooge put an idea in my mind last night… Could this week top out with a Celebration V announcement? The smart money for that would probably be on San Diego Comic Con in June, since it’s not actually summer yet, but I’ve been wrong before.
Tagged: ahmed best · celebration i · celebration v
January 31st, 2009 by Dunc · 8 Comments
Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode II won Annie Awards for Best Animated Television Production, Writing, and Voice Acting for Ahmed Best’s Jar-Jar. But perhaps the biggest shock was the total shut-out of WALL-E – it was beat in nearly every category it was nominated for by Kung Fu Panda. Seriously. Kung Fu Panda. The hell?
Other winners include Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Kevin Kiner was up for Music in an Animated Television Production for the ‘Rising Malevolence’ episode of The Clone Wars, but lost out to Henry Jackman, Hans Zimmer & John Powell for Secrets of the Furious Five, a Kung Fu Panda spinoff.
Filed: film · star wars on tv · the clone wars
Tagged: ahmed best · animation · annie awards · awards · pixar · robot chicken · voice actors · wall-e