As part of the festivities of JadeCon 2008, a new competition was created based on the popular Project Runway series on Bravo. As long time followers of Club Jade know, our members (or at least most of us) have held a special place in their hearts for the 12” vinyl collectible dolls, known lovingly as “The Boyz”. Our Jedi and Sith have traveled around the Earth with our members and sported many, many different looks over the years.
Love of the Boyz, a lack of off-the-rack clothing for them, and a TV show have lead to Club Jade Project Runway. There are three challenges to determine the winner with judging based on creativity, presentation, and consistency with the theme. In addition, comments on this post will be taken into consideration by the judges as well for the overall winner!
Lots of lovely pictures of our models during the competition are available here.
Challenge One: Issued at Games Night on Thursday, our designers were told by our own Heidi to design an outfit for the boyz to wear on a “Date with a Diva” based on the materials provided to their team. Designs were due at the picnic on Friday.
- Team Quilt won the first overall competition with their impressive design and workmanship.
- Team We’re Keeping Our Day Jobs won for Achievement in Haberdashery.
- Team We Did What? won for Best Presentation.
- Team Sprockets won for Achievement in Pleating and Stitching.
- Team Have Gunn Will Travail won for Achievement in Tight Pants and Sleeves.
- Team Bitca won the Fredericks of Hollywood Award.
- Team My Master Made Me Do This won the Special Award for Utilizing Time During a Gaming Session and Special Achievement for Color Coordination.
So far the judges are very impressed with all the entries and looked forward to seeing the results of the Second Challenge. Announced at the end of the first round judging, the second challenge was to fabricate new Jedi Robes/uniforms for the Boyz using duct tape. The tape was provided to the team members in a variety of colors.
The results were again dazzling! Challenge Two:
- Team Sprockets who WON Challenge Two! (rear view.)
- Team We Did What? won Best Wrapped Package!
- Team Have Gunn Will Travail won Viva Las Vegas Showgirl Award.
- Team My Master Made Me Do This won Achievement in Weaving and Braiding; Texture and Overall Duct Tape Technique.
- Team Quilt won Best Historical Reproduction.
- Team Not Quitting our Day Jobs was winner of Excellence in Theme and Detail.
- Team Bitca was winner of the Chippendale’s Dancer Award.
Challenge Three was assigned late last night and the teams raced and fought each other for coveted fabrics. The teams were challenged to attire their Boyz for a mission to a planet which was chosen at random. The audience will be charged with determining which planet the Boyz are heading off to next and their success will influence the judge’s decisions.
If you have made it this far – please review our winners and feel free to comment! Your comments will be taken into consideration for the Overall Project Runway winner for JadeCon 2008!
We’ll post the final results tomorrow for everyone following along at home.