Rumor: Might we see Episode VII delayed after all?

SEQUEL TRILOGY RUMORS: Take seriously at your own risk.According to Jedi News, there was a meeting today at Pinewood to discuss a possible delay due to Harrison Ford’s injury. Recent (if not particularly trustworthy) reports have him needing 6 months of rehab to recover. And Jedi News has heard rumblings that production “could be pushed back by a substantial amount of time.”

Nothing here is particularly solid, but I doubt a delay to, say, May 2016 release would be met with that much objection from the fandom. Disney, on the other hand…

UPDATE: PR is telling TFN there is still no change in the release date. Because of course they are, at this point. If there’s any truth to these rumors, there’s a lot of rubber-stamping that’ll need to be done before PR can confirm anything.

12 thoughts on “Rumor: Might we see Episode VII delayed after all?

  1. maragorn

    A May release would not be objectionable. Much more comfortable to stand in a line in costume at midnight in May than in January.

    Reply
    1. Dunc Post author

      And so much easier to schedule vacation time! And/or travel. Still not sure what I’ll be doing, but I will need a week or so off either way.

      Reply
  2. Oleo

    More than anything I am sad for what this (if true) says about Harrison Ford’s injury and the level of suffering he will have endured over this movie. Unless he somehow manages the improbable feat of winning an Oscar for acting in a spaceship next to a man in a gorilla suit, he will surely look back on his decision to rejoin SW with regret.

    Reply
    1. Dunc Post author

      I don’t doubt that PR denied it to TFN at all, but again: It’s early, particularly if we’re less than 24 hours out from whatever this supposed meeting was.

      I doubt we’ll hear anything else (officially) soon, at least regarding Ford and Episode VII. This is one of those areas where it’s just basically wait and see.

      Reply
      1. Emily

        I don’t doubt it, either, but I find it rather Mickey Mouse – pardon the pun – to send word via a fansite rather than any number of legitimate news sources that might be seeking the same information. But then again, my opinion of LFL/Disney’s PR game thus far is not very favorable.

        Reply
        1. Dunc Post author

          At least one of the trades, or maybe even the general ent press like EW, has to be looking into this whole Ford mess. But they’re not going to just run a flat denial, they’re going to actually report, which takes time. Whether in connection w/ LFL or through ‘sources.’ Either way, they’ll ask LFL for comment. But if they run it, they’ll want something resembling an actual story, not this (sorry) incremental bullshit.

          I mean, if this IS big, if LFL are going to have to delay or whatever, then there are a lot of things that need to get ironed out before anyone says anything major about that on the record. Until then, it’s the same answer as last time, until it isn’t.

          The comment on it’s own is nothing, really: Not at this point. It’s the status quo. Small potatoes. And that’s why it’s fansite fodder.

  3. Riley

    They’ll probably take a wait and see approach to see whether they can make this work by shuffling the scenes they’re filming vis-a-vis Ford’s time recuperating. Don’t forget, they’ve already delayed the release date once from May / Summer 2015 to Dec. 18, 2015. Plus they’ve also got the first spinoff release date set for Dec. 16, 2016.

    Reply
    1. Dunc Post author

      …I don’t think anyone forgot that. But yeah. And the scuttle around that was that Abrams wanted May 2016, but Disney was absolutely set on 2015. So December was a compromise.

      But the spin-off could be pushed back, too, at this point. This obsession with announcing release dates so far out is ridiculous anyway, for exactly this reason.

      Reply

Leave a Reply