Well, this is it: The last of our tips, at least for this round. (I’m sure we’ll all have tons more ideas at the con, though.)
- Bathe. Shower. Every day at the very least. I have to say that generally Celebration is one of the least stinky cons that I’ve attended, but still, it’s worth saying, because it’s Florida in August, after all. Also, deodorant! Toothpaste! Breath mints! And no, excessive perfume/body spray is not an acceptable substitute and can in fact be almost as bad as BO.
- If you’re costuming, be sure to get familiar with the weapons policy.
- From Eliz: “Beware the menus shoved under your door. Never order from somewhere that you have not verified with the front desk at least first. Most of those convenient menus are there as part of a scam. They may have outlawed the practice, and I’m annoyed hotels don’t do a better job policing who is wandering their halls, but I’d expect to see at least one of these. Again, the front desk people are your best bet on who to order out from. Also consider reviews on Yelp & Foursquare, but those could be fluffed up as well.
- From Carla: “Walk through the dealer room at least once before buying anything, so you can get the best price. Exchanges/returns may be problematic. Buy responsibly. Think about whether you can afford something and where you’re going to put it before making a purchase. It’s easy to get carried away. That said I like to bring more cash than I actually plan to spend, just in case.”
- Nancy: “Flying to the con? The Orlando airport has lots of food and shopping options. Need a Disney or Harry Potter souvenir even though you didn’t make it to the parks? Disney and Universal both have stores at the airport.”
Did we miss something? Now is the time to pitch in with your best hints, if it doesn’t fall under anything else we’ve covered.