I’m finally beginning to pack in earnest for the con, and so here’s a couple things that have come to mind:
- Print out everything and keep it close at hand. Your flight info, your hotel reservation, any invitations or party confirmations… Even if you have the smartest smartphone in the world, you never know. And don’t forget your pass, if you already have it!
- Bring at least two pairs of very walkable shoes… And alternate them throughout the con. Your feet will get tired. Note: Even if you wear them constantly at home, Doc Martens are not good con shoes. Really. (I learned that one at C3… Ouch.)
- Take note of all the cords and chargers for your electronics, and if you’re flying, keep them in your carry-on or purse so that you won’t be totally powerless if your luggage gets lost or delayed. (Plus, they WILL open your laptop if you put in checked luggage.)
- You can’t go wrong with a few extra t-shirts. Also, an umbrella or lightweight rainproof jacket. Just in case.
- I know I don’t need to tell our well-groomed and fabulous readers this, but… Pack the serious deodorant. This is Florida. Bug spray and sunblock are good bets, too.
- You’ll need something to haul your loot around at the con once you get there, and I recommend a messenger bag. You do not want a backpack when dealing with southern humidity, plus it makes it slightly harder for possible thieves to get at your stuff. If you don’t think that’s enough room, go out and get some foldable tote bags. (I like the RuMes, but similar bags aren’t too hard to find.)
- This seems obvious, but I forget it half the time: Ladies, if you’re flying, make sure you chose a bra that doesn’t have any metal bits. (Says the woman who wore steel-toed boots to jury duty a few weeks ago… Skip those, too!) It’s not the end of the world if they have to frisk you, but it will save you a few minutes at the airport.
No doubt I’ve missed something: What packing tips do you have?