2011 was a good year for here at Club Jade. We saw hits rise, in no small part due to links from StarWars.com and Reddit, and people searching for news about the Blu-rays and Hallmart ornaments. Plus that whole thing about civility. And Vin Diesel. (Yes, Vin Diesel.) Head below the cut for the details.
We have all gathered here in the suite for our Post-Con Depression Kick-Off Breakfast: bagels, cold pizza, cake, Doritos, stale popcorn and cookies. The breakfast of geeks, baby!
Before we start putting the suite back into place, we thought we’d post our collection of quotes for, well, our enjoyment. Regular blogging will return after we get home and sleep for a few days.
- “Acknowledge my existence!” – Fen to a cantankerous bathroom water sensor
- “When will people realize that you just shouldn’t put pictures of your junk on the internet?” – Elizabeth
- “Or you give it to a man who knows how to work your equipment.”
- “Luci is a House Elf.”
- “Enjoy your drink. We’ll pray for you.” – Luci, the Apprentice Bartender
- “I’m a little short to dress as Darth Vader.” – Helen
- “Hello, you’re looking down.” – Deet, supportive as always
- “I’m licking Obi-Wan. It is a good day.” – Beth
- “She’s Edward, not a man!” – Eliz
- “Now.. did they get the whipped cream for me?” – Rach
- “I like to go in there and just inhale, because it smells like books.” – Fen
- “You don’t want to listen to x-rated fix either, Mom?” – Carly
- “Well, that was a totally heterosexist clue!” – Carly
- Kelly: “What are we applauding?” Dan: “My squats.”
- “Urrr… I am not a clever pirate.” – VJ
- “Oh my gawd. Callista is Edward. Eww. That means Luke is Bella.” – Caitlin
- “Spores are comin’, man… woom-baya.” – Nancy
- “Woooooomb.” – Spontaneous chant throughout the room
- “So, who be the vendor of choice for blow-up salamanders?” – Tom
- “Yay! Fluffy boobs!” – Russ
- “He’s hot… not Gardulla the Hutt.” – J9
- “Peeing in a grass skirt is harder than it seems.” – Yav
- “Dunc has gotten into my soul. And that is scary.” – Beth
- Aaron: “Y’all are pretty deranged.” Dunc: “We learned it from watching you!”
- “PG actually counts by alphabetizing numbers.” – Dave
- “As much as I’d like a big red, star destroyer, but I’m probably better off with a Jedi.” – PG
Regular blogging has been suspended until, oh, next week sometime. We may be tweeting, and there may be the occasional entry here, but no promises.
Forgive me for using this week’s discussion for selfish purposes, but spring is in the air (at least, it is here) and I’m finally getting down to business with a cosmetic refresh for the blog. I’m so sick of looking like 2007!
A few things that will almost certainly make the cut: Gravatars, threaded comments, some subtle social media sharing aids, an about page refresh with blogger bios (finally!) and a new look for the book release schedule. What will remain the same? Well, we’re sticking with WordPress, a white background and fairly minimalist design.
But what kind of things would you like to see? Any (technical, not content!) features you’ve seen on other blogs that you think would serve us well? Or are there any types of posts you’d like to see more (or less) of? Now’s your chance to weigh in.
So it came, the time of year when we look back upon our stats for last year… This is my first time doing this publicly, and if you don’t run a fan site they might be terribly boring, but what the hell, right? Continue reading
Since we’re heading into a holiday weekend here in the U.S. and actual news is getting more unlikely by the day, I’m declaring a break – at least until Friday, when Santa Maul makes his official debut for the year. Have a nice Thanksgiving/Thursday, everyone.
There’s a holiday or something going on. (I hear that some people actually get time off work!) So excuse our quiet here for a while. Fear not, we have a few things brewing… And in the meantime, Twitter!
Folks continued their gaming and breaking of budgets on the con floor. The rest of us spent time talking social networking, gadgets to get on said social networks, and having Star Wars comic story time.
Our evening shindig was a murder mystery set in a newly opened Cloud City casino. (Along with our now-traditional Boba Fettucini dinner from Bordeaux Pizza. Yum!)
Most, if not all, of the characters were corrupt or just, plain nuts. And apparently we were all promiscuous, as well. Trying to untangle the affairs was quite difficult.
The Best Acting award went to Diane; although Willow, Rox’s service dog, stole the show as the accountant.
Mike S. covered for Dan as bartender; trying his hardest to memorise Mary’s Bar Guide as he went.
The next event for the evening was our annual auction to benefit Reading is Fundamental. We raised just over $900! In spite of the current economy, Club Jade members are to be applauded.
Afterwards was our usual silliness. Doug read an ode to the current Traviss trauma. Luci sang a filk to “Day-O” called “Sith Lord.”. “Sith lord come and me wanna go home.” And there was much laughter over Doug’s Robe Squadron outfit and Will Turner’s residence in Cindy’s cleavage; prompting Doug to say,”Now that’s a pirate’s chest.”
With the bar down to its last bottles, those leaving early started the hug fest as a preview of the Post-Con Depression Breakfast to kick off in just a little while.
Unless something of import happens during the PCD breakfast or the subsequent Dead Ewok gathering, this will be our last entry from JadeCon.
Please give us a day or two to get back to our usual coverage of all things amusing and interesting in sci-fi and fantasy. (Or just amusing to us.)
A fun day of mayhem, yesterday. Our first time with an actual fire! But I digress.
Our gamers headed out early for what ended up being an unsatisfying game, but it was still gaming, so it’s not all bad.
Back in the suite, we talked geek crafting, filking, veil dancing, and wine and cheese. We’re nothing if not a diverse group.
In the evening, a group of us went to the river to play Cloud City Chaos. First up was the Cloud Car Races. The paddle boat course was enough for everyone to work off all con food for the weekend. This was followed by the water gun fight disguised as reenacting the scene when Han tries to fire at Vader. Sean succeeded in getting the gun away. We ended up with an impossibly hard “rebuild the 3PO” game.
When we got back to the suite, we realized that Luci, who had said she was running to a store and would meet us, never made it back to the suite. We were devising a search grid when a check of her room found her there, wondering why Dunc was all worried.
So now the flames. We got dinner catered from Moe’s. One of the tissue papers covering the tortillas caught fire. We’re talking flames that went several feet up. Panic ensued until Sean, always our calming presence, realized it was burning on glass and tile and would burn out quickly. We were just thrilled it didn’t set off the sprinklers. That would have been an expensive bill!
The evening’s festivities included “Black Sabacc;” the Cloud City version of Blackjack. The Project Runway finale featured the strip teasing Jedi who came to strip for Tendra’s bachelorette party. (Amazingly embarrassing; even when they’re dolls.).
And there was supposed to be filking after that, but this reporter had to get to sleep to get up in time for the Indy Knights breakfast to raise funds towards Aaron Allston’s medical bills.
Maybe we can get the filkers to perform again tonight.